5.0L (1979-1995) Mustang Technical discussions on 5.0 Liter Mustangs within. This does not include the 5.0 from the 2011 Mustang GT. That information is in the 2005-1011 section.

Drivetrain Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 12:10 PM
GimpyHSHS

Default Drivetrain Vibration

Having a transmission issue, I think. I went to 5th gear on the bypass yesterday, and it popped out. Pressed the gas, went no faster, looked down and the shifter was vibrating like mad, in neutral. Pressed the clutch in, still vibrated. What would cause this? With the clutch in and still having noise, would this be tranny or drive axle?

Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

check driveshaft
Old 12-14-2014, 04:27 PM
GimpyHSHS

Originally Posted by mjr46
check driveshaft
Ok, so I went ahead and put a new tranny in, the car lot I work at had a GT with the same tranny that had been wrecked, so I pulled it. I put the new tranny in. In the process, I discovered that the bellhousing was cracked to pieces, even the clutch stop piece inside was cracked off. Im surprised it went as far as it did.

Even with this new tranny, tho, Im still having the car pop out of fifth gear at higher speeds. It always happens at high speeds, right after I let off the gas. The shifter shudders and out it pops. Could this still be a drive shaft issue? The car has 3.73 gears, if that makes a lick of difference. Also, how do you "check" the driveshaft?
Old 12-14-2014, 06:18 PM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GimpyHSHS
Ok, so I went ahead and put a new tranny in, the car lot I work at had a GT with the same tranny that had been wrecked, so I pulled it. I put the new tranny in. In the process, I discovered that the bellhousing was cracked to pieces, even the clutch stop piece inside was cracked off. Im surprised it went as far as it did.

Even with this new tranny, tho, Im still having the car pop out of fifth gear at higher speeds. It always happens at high speeds, right after I let off the gas. The shifter shudders and out it pops. Could this still be a drive shaft issue? The car has 3.73 gears, if that makes a lick of difference. Also, how do you "check" the driveshaft?
Things to check, Ujoints on drive shaft make sure they are not froze up or worn out.

Trans mounts,,, motor mounts,, You wouldn't happen to be running solid mounts/or polly mounts would you?

What ever it is, get it fixed asap before you crack another bell,, If you happen to need a bell, I have an sn95 5.0 bell out in the shop id sell ya for 100 bucks plus shipping.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:37 PM
GimpyHSHS

Originally Posted by dawson1112
Things to check, Ujoints on drive shaft make sure they are not froze up or worn out.

Trans mounts,,, motor mounts,, You wouldn't happen to be running solid mounts/or polly mounts would you?

What ever it is, get it fixed asap before you crack another bell,, If you happen to need a bell, I have an sn95 5.0 bell out in the shop id sell ya for 100 bucks plus shipping.
I may need the bellhousing. How much would shipping be? (Hot Springs, Arkansas 71901)

And idek if I have solid or poly mounts, I will check the U-Joints though.

Heres a little background, and why Im so misinformed:
I bought a 1983 Ford F100 in May of this year. Had a 300 Six in it. Sturdy truck, beautiful interior. Only downside, it ate gas. Got about 10 to the gallon. Maybe 12 on the highway. Well, my boss at the car lot I work for told me that if I sold my truck, whatever I got from it, he would sell me a 1994 Mustang GT for that same price. I got the truck sold last Monday night, picked up my car on Tuesday. I was thrilled. He did it to help me out. Better gas mileage, although a slight insurance increase, more reliability, and....ahem....more speed. At 17, what more can you ask for?

Well, I discovered the tranny issues, and so I put this new one in on Friday, and finished yesterday. So Ive had the car 5 days, and know very little.

It has BBK headers, cold air intake, 3.73 gears, true dual Flowmasters, I only know those mods.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 PM
leftyatm
1st Gear Member

Check to make sure there is nothing mechanical in the tunnel or where the shifter mount runs through the subframe. Maybe there is something misaligned causing it to put pressure on the stick only in the 5th gear position...
Old 12-15-2014, 04:22 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GimpyHSHS
I may need the bellhousing. How much would shipping be? (Hot Springs, Arkansas 71901)
I will have to dig it out of the shop and weigh it in the morning. Ill get back to you then.
Old 12-18-2014, 06:16 AM
yurizx6r
3rd Gear Member

Take the drive shaft to a local drive shaft shop and they can test it and balance it if needed. If it's the stock drive shaft it will almost guaranteed out of balance. I didn't even bother with mine and I just purchased a Ford Racing aluminum drive shaft. My local shop wanted $250 to balance mine (they seemed like douche bags). I said why would I do that when I can get an aluminum one for $260 with brand everything and it's lighter!? The only disadvantage of those is they are bigger diameter wise, so if you're like me and you have that problem when you hit big bumps the drive shaft will hit the brake lines it will make it worse... oh well. lol

I didn't think I had a problem with my driveshaft until I got the aluminum one... waaaaaaaaaaay smoother at highway speeds. That could be your problem.

Last edited by yurizx6r; 12-18-2014 at 06:20 AM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:25 PM
GimpyHSHS

Originally Posted by dawson1112
I will have to dig it out of the shop and weigh it in the morning. Ill get back to you then.
The new bellhousing is cracked. In a V shape at the clutch cable inlet. Is that bell housing still available?

What causes this? Need some help before it happens again with a new bellhousing!

Old 12-22-2014, 12:12 AM
dawson1112
5th Gear Member

Yea I still have it,

Ill pm you the details in the morning. $100.00 plus $25.00 shipping , but you have to find out what is stressing it.

It could be anything from the motor mounts being bad to transmission mounts, drive shaft bent, ujoints, pinion angle. Im leaning towards a bad motor mount, but I wouldn't know with out being there to look at things my self.

When motor mounts go bad especially the drivers side, the engine will twist violently. I say especially drivers side because that's the side that wants to lift up when you accelerate hard. If it lifts to far it can put a bind between the engine and transmission mount and it snaps at the weakest point.

Have someone stand out side the car while you release the clutch and see if the engine is twisting upward.

Last edited by dawson1112; 12-22-2014 at 12:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Vibration