5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.
View Poll Results: Do you Believe me or Disagree
Yes i Agree
66.67%
No i do not believe you
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Single Plane Intakes... Loss of Torque?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:51 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

welp that perty much sums that up
Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

Joel has some very good info!
Old 05-01-2009, 09:05 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by Portmaster
He didn't win, I just get tired of hearing about a car it took him 14 years to get in the 11's with with an outdated intake. It's a known fact that single plane intakes loose torque down low. It may not be enough to matter to some people but to those running a car that weighs in over 3000 pounds it will. Dual Plane intakes have become so good in the past several years (ie RPM Air Gap) that just about anything that makes most of it's power will be quicker using one over a single plane like the Victor Jr. While the Victor may show a better peak number the fact is that engine has to make the journey to peak hp. In most cases a in an engine of around 450hp there will be about a 25 lbft torque increase across the board over the Vic Jr. Instead of looking at peak power smart people look at overall power. It heavy street cars torque matters. It's been proven to death. I'm sure the people that build them know whats going on. Thats not just my theory, Thats the industry standard.

Intakes like the Weiand X-Celerator, Action Plus,Edelbrock Torker, Holley Street Dominator and a few more are just chapters in intake history.
so take the victor jr off your 347 and run the air gap..lol
Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

i'm sorry ,but when does an intake give shyt how much a car weighs???an intake alone does not carry the car!..

i go to the track almost every friday/sat...and i have yet seen a fast car run anything,but a sp intake...and most of these door slammers run 5.80's to 6.0's in the 1/8 mile...yes most are geared at 4.56's,but half the field that show up drive there,and have 4.10's,and weigh over 3500lbs...i guess the hp/tq down low isn't impressive enough to cover the 1/8th mile in those time brackets?
Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Drag cars running that fast are launching at and running in the upper rpm range. They never see the bottom end except plodding around in the pit lanes.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
grabbem88
6th Gear Member

well it's so funny they drive to the track putt'n around in traffic,and the interstate to get there..
Old 05-01-2009, 10:16 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

True, but that doesn't mean it's something they want to drive every day, just that they drive it to the track.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:18 PM
94StinkinLincoln
5th Gear Member

i will have no problem what so ever driving mine every day to work, no reason i cant. i would like atleast 1 reason why i can not drive it to work when ever i want.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Joel5.0
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Drag cars running that fast are launching at and running in the upper rpm range. They never see the bottom end except plodding around in the pit lanes.
I guess the following facts were not read.......

....... reason why both can cruise @1500 rpm's in 5th. gear in day to day traffic, and merge into a highway w/out downshifting at all.
.....setup with a SP intake capable of idling @750 RPM's, 15" - 17"Hg. of vacuum, make 20+ MPG daily driving it, and still rev to 7000 RPM's (while making power BTW) when required.
BTW... take a look at this video clip, it's a notch with a 302, B-303 cam (soon to be corrected), 195 cc heads, LT's, full 3" exhaust, 30# injectors, Holley-CarTech box intake after 15 min. idling to "freshen" the interior for the owner kid's sleep (3 years old)..... a lot of idle surging with the A/C on... aside the 383 sbc Nova and jeep with a sbc 350 in his victims list.... it's a daily driver.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 94StinkinLincoln
i will have no problem what so ever driving mine every day to work, no reason i cant. i would like atleast 1 reason why i can not drive it to work when ever i want.
Your car won't run high 5's to low 6's in the 1/8th, unless you spray, no offense. I was just saying that with cars that fast(if they're n/a at least) they may not be something that's driven regularly. I don't think you'd have any problem driving your's on the street. Heck, I could probably put a SP on my 302 and be fine, my carb has annular boosters so low velocity atomization isn't an issue(which is one of the single biggest reasons that SP intakes on carb setups lose tons of low end power, crappy carbs that can't keep up).

One thing I will add to this discussion, and I've said it before....

SP intakes are typically designed around the stock displacement of the engine they're for, in the case of the Vic Jr for a 302, it's designed for a 302. When you start putting an intake like that on a 331 or 347 etc, everything changes. Piston velocity during induction is much higher at the same rpm, and therefore the induction pulse is much stronger. It changes the dynamics of how the intake functions, and all of a sudden the torque loss typically associated with an intake of that type(if one were to exist within a certain combination) isn't an issue, since the stronger induction pulse will bring the charge in at a much higher velocity. In the case of some strokers they may actually make more bottom end torque with a SP intake because the DP intake may just be too restrictive even at lower rpm, or the nature of the fluid flow changes such that it favors the larger intake. It's a bigger engine with much better breathing abilities that's using an intake designed for a smaller engine turning more rpm. Again though, it depends on how the package is set up.

Quick Reply: Single Plane Intakes... Loss of Torque?