5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Rear seat delete fabrication questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 PM
89GTnoob
2nd Gear Member

Default Rear seat delete fabrication questions

I plan on doing a rear seat delete and am wondering how most of them are secured to the car. I'm a little worried about having a peice of 1/2" or 3/4" MDF taking flight in my car in a roll over scenario, so I planned on dropping the tank and drilling holes through the trunk to mount it. I didn't know if there was enough clearance to just use metal screws and screw through the MDF and into the floor. I plan to bring it from the back of the car all the way forward until it lines up with the floor panel where the rear passengers feet would be. From there add a piece contoured over the driveshaft hump and up to the main piece.

ALSO, I have no idea how to carpet, and am wondering if anyone has any decent tips or tutorials that tell me how to carpet and make all of the corners fold under without it overlapping in the folds.

THANKS!
Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

i made one the simple and effective route that i choose was to re use the stock 2 center seatbelt bolts to hold them in place i just used some strips of mild steal and bent them so they line up with the holes and anchored them to my rear seat delete. not sure how the premade ones are done but thats how i did it and it works well as far as the backrest section i hinged it to my lower section and then secured it to the metal that is between the back seat and trunk, thats in a coupe as far as a hatch i am not sure. as far as carpet the simpler u make the design of the seat delete the easier it will be to carpet. this was the first time i ever carpeted anything and it came out well, just cut the carpet a few inches larger than the piece don't be afraid to use extra. then just apply spray glue and smooth it out on the flat section. as far as the corners i waited until the flat section was pretty dry it only takes a few min, then dry fir the corners and edges, make plenty of relief cuts so it hugs the corners and tucks away neat. try to do this on a nice flat table/workbench in a well ventilated area, i did it on my kitchen table with a drop cloth. i hope this helped mike
Old 06-24-2010, 09:08 PM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

oh yeah are you doing this for weight bc if you are do not bother unless u are making out of 1/4 stuff it will not save u any weight. i personally did it bc it was much cheaper than recovering my rear seat. mike
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM
89GTnoob
2nd Gear Member

Nah, couldn't care at all about weight right now, just trying to clean up this wreck of an interior
Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
1987notchback
2nd Gear Member

haha yup that was my goal also. i just used 1/2" particle board nice and cheap i even put some jute rug pad on the back for sound deadening and covered it with the extra rug. if u r lookin for cheap rug walmart has gray black and charcol rolls cheap. i am sure u get what u pay for but it did the trick for me no fading yet its approaching 2 years now. mike
Old 06-24-2010, 10:18 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

drop the tank n the fuel filter i made the mistake of not dropping the filter and put a sheet metal screw right through the rubber line which can not be replaced unless you get a brand new pre bent set $$$ i ended up fixing it with -8 an line and fittings