5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

My first appearance modification

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2010, 04:54 PM
5.0kid
5th Gear Member

Damn 302 your making me really want to get my 6" extended cowl now
Old 12-26-2010, 05:43 PM
68CSTANG
3rd Gear Member

Can you take any more pictures of the side from further back? I was going to order a Kaenen this week but now you are making me second-guess myself
Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Shelty
5th Gear Member

looking good.

i wanna get a new hood myself, add to the multicoloredness of my car lol, tho i am dead set on either a cobra r or a heat extractor hood. just not a huge fan of cowl hoods, ive got one now, but its a pos...

my most recent purchase is a set of new tires... lol my old ones are bald as ****
Old 12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

I never realized that the corner was screwed up like that. The functionality of the wider cowl is awesome but truthfully I am not a fan of it. I am used to the width of the cowls being the same as the vent. Just like Boss's Cobra R hood, not a fan because the lines on the curves just are not sharp enough. It just looks like a big bubble IMO.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:52 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

That sounds like a good deal to me. With that you might have your car running before the summer hits
Old 12-26-2010, 07:53 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blown408
I agree with ya too. If ya dont have the money then go find a cheap 302 too get her back on the road again, Spring will be here quicker than you think man. Put another 302 in it to thrash on while you decide on your next combo!!
doing the math today for how money is coming in, it looks like a junkyard motor is the best option if I want my car to run before august.

on top of that, my buddy that builds jeeps offered to sell me a explorer 5.0 motor bottom end w/ 90k miles for $150 that he has in his garage. So I might get that motor from him, swap my pistons into it because there forged, put in new rings/bearings and call it good
Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 PM
motorman524
MF Informant

I thought you weren't lookin to install bearings? Doing that will require machine work as well. I'd get that shortblock and put your setup on directly. Really no need for a piston swap.
Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

Only need a machine shop if you do the cam bearings...and that is only if you don't have the tool to do it yourself
Old 12-26-2010, 09:46 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5.0kid
Damn 302 your making me really want to get my 6" extended cowl now
haha, DO IT! with that new motor of yours it will be able to back up the looks!

Originally Posted by 68CSTANG
Can you take any more pictures of the side from further back? I was going to order a Kaenen this week but now you are making me second-guess myself
sure, I took pictures from just about every angle.

Originally Posted by Shelty
looking good.

i wanna get a new hood myself, add to the multicoloredness of my car lol, tho i am dead set on either a cobra r or a heat extractor hood. just not a huge fan of cowl hoods, ive got one now, but its a pos...

my most recent purchase is a set of new tires... lol my old ones are bald as ****
yea, I think I would be worried about getting the rest of your car sorted. what brand is your current hood?

Originally Posted by projectresto83
I never realized that the corner was screwed up like that. The functionality of the wider cowl is awesome but truthfully I am not a fan of it. I am used to the width of the cowls being the same as the vent. Just like Boss's Cobra R hood, not a fan because the lines on the curves just are not sharp enough. It just looks like a big bubble IMO.

Yea, I keep that side of the bumper out of most of my pictures on purpose.

idk, I dont like the cowl hoods that are so square in the way they look. almost makes them look like you glued the cowl to the stock hood. so I like it a lot better that this one kinda bubbles out like you said.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:48 PM
302army187
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by motorman524
I thought you weren't lookin to install bearings? Doing that will require machine work as well. I'd get that shortblock and put your setup on directly. Really no need for a piston swap.
As long as there is no major damage to the bearings, I won't need a shop at all. and I probably wont swap just the pistons, as long as the rod bearings on my current motor looks alright, I would swap the rods also.

Originally Posted by projectresto83
Only need a machine shop if you do the cam bearings...and that is only if you don't have the tool to do it yourself
well the cam bearings I would be less worried about. If the cam isn't all scratched up, then just reuse the cam bearing wouldn't bother me. not like im going to be running this motor for 10 years/150k miles. I doubt I would have this motor for more then two years.

Quick Reply: My first appearance modification