5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

93 Restro the sequel

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Default 93 Restro the sequel

Hey, I haven't ever done one of these threads before and I wanted to....So I am. And yeah, I jacked projectrestro's thread title.

Little update of where it was. It had a blown head gasket and I said f-it and let it sit for a year with antifreeze on the piston. It had a gt-40p engine out of a mountaineer and a kb. I bought an engine online from LKQ and got screwed out of my money but, all is good after a re-build.

Here some pics

Yeah I know we should have painted first but, I live in a small town and guess what? No black engine paint that day.

We opted for Lucas instead of assembly lube but, we didn't pour the rest in the engine because it is so sticky. and all the little break-in poo would stick to it. We also used a king bearing which didn't have a coating on them so, we didn't have to polish the bearings. It was the first we have seen that didn't have the coating.

This is a guy that works with me. I told him to put the balancer on my engine naow!! and he did it....Not really

This is after the install. It turned out to be a re-ringed 302 with a set of afr 165 heads. A custom cam with a wide lobe seperation, 1.7 cobra rockers and an eddy performer intake. Please don't knock the wiring, I plan to fix it after i decide if I want to use the meth kit or not. Kinda hoping I don't need it but, I would like the extra protection with the way gas is these days.

This is after the sci kit. I was going to go used but, Chris @ poweraddersolutions cut me a deal on one. After buying a used mondo bypass and dischrage pipe off corral and a new 8-rib pulley pack to up the boost, I will get out at 2200. Coudn't really go wrong there other than wanting a turbo. I had just seen these last forever so, I bite the bullet.

And finally a short video. Sorry for the quality, my phone sux. I wish I would have got a better shot of the car. It had mildew and looked aweful. I washed it in clorox the other day and it looks like a different vehicle. It is amazing what that stuff can do to a white vehicle. Anyways, I will get a pic of the car after I get some polish back on it.

Just click V to see the video

That is about all I got right now. I have the pulleys ordered to up the boost already. I am waiting on them before hitting the dyno. I also have a top ordered
Old 02-07-2012, 11:58 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Good luck boosting on those pistons..........
Old 02-08-2012, 12:06 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

eh, I have seen a 250 dollar set of pistons run mid to high 5's with nitrous so, I feel they can handle 450hp.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:09 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I put about 100 miles on the car this weekend. It had a full tank of gas when I started and now has left than half a tank I am gonna change the oil and the plugs then drop it off for the tune.

I also got my pulleys in today and may have over shot the mark. I believe I am going to order a 3.33 pulley instead of using the 3.12 that is on it now. I got the pulleys on there and drove it around the block to see where the boost came in at. I pressed the throttle 3/4 of the way to the floor in second gear and the floormat caught it. I went for a ride until I got it pulled out. The rpms never got over 5 grand and the boost gauge recorded a 9.3 max. No telling what it would have been at 6000 rpm, where the limiter is set. My gauge could be off though I guess.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:25 PM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

First off....get your own title lol....and only I can make a sequel! And I intent to start it this summer lol

Next time the throttle is stuck just turn the ignition off and slow down....
Old 03-07-2012, 11:14 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

How about 93 restro part duex for a thread title?

I got my first race set-up today. A guy with a 98 vette gave me 3:1 odds so, I took it.

Nothing exciting today as far the car. I got my ngk plugs in today. I had to fix a 90 degree boot on one plug wire from where I was running bbk headers with gt40p heads. Other than that it went pretty smooth. For the car to be getting 10 miles to the gallon, the plugs looked new almost. One did have a black spot on it that looked like a burnt spot but, my boss thought it may have been from a bad plug. Auto-lite says they don't make a bad plug so....idk I will keep a check on them though.

Also got my fuel filter changed and my fan moved. It was rubbing the 8-rib crank pulley.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:46 AM
projectresto83
M.A.D. Motorsports

well considering my thread was never 93 restro.... I can't say much lol.... Mine was 93 Reborn.

Good luck
Old 03-10-2012, 01:54 AM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

well, tomorrow morning it is going to the tuner. I am going to leave it with him so, it may be a while. I told him I was worried about running out of fuel and to be careful. He told me no worries. He had a couple of 340 stealth pumps that are used but, never used. So good deal. I may buy one for the future.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:44 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

you need to get rid of the accordian boot and get a power pipe!!! also does what type of supercharger you have play a roll on how quick the boost comes on?? cause I really gotta wind mine to see the full 12 at half or 3/4 throttle it may see 5-7
Old 03-10-2012, 12:31 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

Well, he hasn't called and told me it has blown up yet. He said he will probably have it done tomorrow so, we will see.

Yeah, I really got in a hurry. My thinking at the time when I ordered the pulley kit was I will just not use the power-pipe and spin it faster to make up for it. I wish I would have done differently but, we can always change it later.

I assume it does matter which supercharger you have. A vortech is pretty much a belt driven turbo. You know turbos become laggier down low the bigger you go. So I assume a Vortech is the same in a sense.

And Mike, I am about to order a 3.33 pulley. You don't by any chance have one you want to get rid of?

Last edited by TrimDrip; 03-10-2012 at 12:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 93 Restro the sequel