5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Uh Oh... what to do

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 11:18 PM
TrimDrip
FudgeDrip

I am afraid to sit down and count what I have in mine. I know if I did, I would put a price on my car. If I did put a price on it, everyone would laugh when I tell them what I would take for it.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:34 PM
anderman
1st Gear Member

autozone sells a gas tank repair kit that has a piece of fiberglass and some resin that works really well. the kit costs like $8. for your light issues, check your fuses and grounds.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:38 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

You need to remember that it's an old car, it's 24 years old.
You shouldn't expect it to be perfect.......
Old 04-04-2012, 06:47 AM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

Originally Posted by ShawnyB215
im just worried about putting more then what i paid for it into it im gonna have my uncle do the work but i don't want it being hefty price tag.
are you a car salesman or enthusiest??
Old 04-04-2012, 08:48 PM
capri debris
3rd Gear Member

With a car that old, you should have considered it will need money from time to time to get it in better condition... if you bought it thinking there wouldn't be any reason to pull out your wallet, you bought the wrong car.

As for the trivial problems you're having... well if your first thought is to sell it because it's going to be too hard/ too expensive to fix..... again, you bought the wrong car.

The problems you're having are what I consider "so easy to fix" that I rank them about as hard as an oil change. A fuel tank can be swapped in about an hour and half, and the light problem should only take about an hour to figure out and about an hour to fix... at the most.

If you sell it, you're giving up too easy... you should keep it, spend some money on it and use it to learn how to do some of this stuff... and maybe after you get some experience, you won't be that guy who talks about selling his car when it only needs a simple tank replacement and some minor electrical work.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:20 PM
defiance
3rd Gear Member

Don't let problems like this scare you away from the car. Its a beautiful fox you got there.

Owning a mustang is definitely like acquiring a hobby, things will sometimes break or wear out. No worries, its all fixable. A hole in a gas tank is not that big of a problem, considering you can even see it. Lights could be trickier, but still not that bad.

Post a pic of the gas tank, and I'm sure someone will know exactly what to do on here. Many have already posted suggestions.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:05 PM
Five0hFox
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangGT86_05
Pretty sure FiveOhFox means fixing it as much as fixing his up. Your issues really shouldn't cost too much to fix, the only one that MIGHT be complicated is your lighting issue. Most likely though, it won't be too bad. Hell I think I've already put half of what I spent on my car back into it and have only had it a year, but its been 90% upgrades
I should have elaborated. Actual repairs I have maybe $300 (unless you add the engine rebuild) (also haven't put hardly any miles on it though) the rest is just 5 lug swap, wheels, paint bumpers, etc. Basically restored it to like new. That also included an engine rebuild.

Last edited by Five0hFox; 04-04-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:08 PM
DIS LOWLIFE

I told my wife its either the 20 year old mustang, or a 20 year old girlfriend. She used to give the mustang all the blessings, now she starting to think the girlfriend would be cheaper.

Its a definitely a passion with these cars, and minor fixes. I picked up a fuel tank from a pick a part for 20 bucks, and had it cleaned and tested for another 20. think it took me about an hour to put it in. Just another avenue to think about.

Last edited by DIS LOWLIFE; 04-05-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by F0RD4LifE
Don't let problems like this scare you away from the car. Its a beautiful fox you got there.

Owning a mustang is definitely like acquiring a hobby, things will sometimes break or wear out. No worries, its all fixable. A hole in a gas tank is not that big of a problem, considering you can even see it. Lights could be trickier, but still not that bad.

Post a pic of the gas tank, and I'm sure someone will know exactly what to do on here. Many have already posted suggestions.
Question is, is this his DD. having a fixer upper as a DD and no backup car is not a good thing. You spend all of your free time working on the car.

Buddy of mine did taht with a 1970 El Torino. That thing spent more time in his garage or at a shop having things done than he got to drive it. Not good considering he was always having to bum rides off of people to get to and from work which is way more important than a hobby.

Anways, he ended up selling it and got a new car.

So OP, is this your DD or your project car? Can't have both with an older car.
Old 04-05-2012, 04:37 PM
mustangGT86_05
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Five0hFox
I should have elaborated. Actual repairs I have maybe $300 (unless you add the engine rebuild) (also haven't put hardly any miles on it though) the rest is just 5 lug swap, wheels, paint bumpers, etc. Basically restored it to like new. That also included an engine rebuild.

Yeah I also meant to say DOESN'T mean fixing it as much as fixing it up lol

Quick Reply: Uh Oh... what to do