5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Looking for some good mods!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 01:57 AM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Go to a paint store and get some aircraft paint stripper for the aluminum valve covers.
Should take about 20 minutes to have them looking like new.
Like Bob stated, gears, heads and maybe N2O makes the real differance.......
Old 04-06-2012, 05:24 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vazura
Hey, i'm still fairly new at this and I'm looking for some good mods for my 88 mustang gt, so far I have picked out..

1: BBK Cold Air Intake
2: Ford Racing Polished Valve Covers
3: New Chrome Headers/Paint the Block
4: BBK Underdrive Pulleys
5: Venom High Performance Fuel Injectors - 24lb

If you guys could, give me some more mods to add on, links would be nice also!

Thanks
Skip the injectors, as they'll actually hurt performance on a stock 302 with a speed density computer.

Here's an article I wrote about modding my '89 back when it was stock. I got it down into the 12s without modding the engine, mainly with weight reduction, good suspension, and drag radials. Your '88 5.0 should respond similarly.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._lx/index.html
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 AM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

get you a steeda tri ax shifter. 3.55 or 3.73 is a good all around gear and full exhaust is a good place to start.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Vazura

Originally Posted by UPRSharad
Skip the injectors, as they'll actually hurt performance on a stock 302 with a speed density computer.

Here's an article I wrote about modding my '89 back when it was stock. I got it down into the 12s without modding the engine, mainly with weight reduction, good suspension, and drag radials. Your '88 5.0 should respond similarly.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/fea..._lx/index.html
Ill do that and I read your article but honestly this is my DD and im not drag racing the car, just looking to get the most out of it without taking my functions from the car.

I will look into a MAF kit and Gears, but honestly im really not sure What im looking into, so if anyone has some links to the parts to order that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM
UPRSharad
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Vazura
Ill do that and I read your article but honestly this is my DD and im not drag racing the car, just looking to get the most out of it without taking my functions from the car.

I will look into a MAF kit and Gears, but honestly im really not sure What im looking into, so if anyone has some links to the parts to order that would be greatly appreciated!

3.73s gears and the parts below make a good start.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-c...nsion-kit.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/strange-m...-shock-79.html

http://www.uprproducts.com/mickey-th...et-street.html
Old 04-16-2012, 03:01 AM
00gGT

Hey I'm also new to this I'm looking to mod my car. I want to get a pulley kit and a throttle body for the start. Any recommendations??
Old 04-16-2012, 09:15 AM
Venomantidote95
4th Gear Member

Jacking thread isnt a way to get any lol! read thru this one and you might get some insight on it!
Old 04-16-2012, 04:58 PM
van-swink85
1st Gear Member

Underdrive pullies suck and arent worth the money due to charging problems put the 100$ back towards a set of headers or a cam i hear the 303's are s*** so stay away from them, mines coming out
Old 04-17-2012, 07:11 AM
majohns
2nd Gear Member

I have pullies and dont have a problem with them. i dont think they are worth the money but they came on the car so i will run them. whats wrong with the 303 cams? i have had e303 in the past and never had a problem with it. one of the best street cars i have seen had an x cam.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
00gGT

Originally Posted by Venomantidote95
Jacking thread isnt a way to get any lol! read thru this one and you might get some insight on it!
Would it be better if I posted a whole new thread about the same thing? I think that would upset everyone else much more then just trying to join the convo lol

I have met a couple of people that have pulleys installed and they say its a bang for the buck but ill look more into it.

Quick Reply: Looking for some good mods!