5.0L General Discussion This section is for non-tech specific information pertaining to 5.0L Mustangs.

Chassis/Suspension Stiffening

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 08:40 AM
88TTOPFOX

Originally Posted by Urambo Tauro
When I changed my control arms, the bolts holding the lower arm to the axle were by far the worst. After wrestling them out, I took them to a local Fastenal, where they matched up some new ones for me.

I don't remember the size or length, but they were metric and I made sure to get heavy-grade hardware.
Do you remember how much the bolts were? That seems to be the most likely option long as they don't want an arm and leg.

I'd honestly just feel better replacing the bolts from 1988 with some new ones since I'm taking them out anyways.

Does anyone see a need for upgrading front and rear sway bars with some beefier ones, or would that be overkill with the already listed mods?
Old 11-20-2015, 11:08 AM
67LimeCoupe
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 88TTOPFOX
Do you remember how much the bolts were? That seems to be the most likely option long as they don't want an arm and leg.

I'd honestly just feel better replacing the bolts from 1988 with some new ones since I'm taking them out anyways.

Does anyone see a need for upgrading front and rear sway bars with some beefier ones, or would that be overkill with the already listed mods?
when I bought SVE upper and lowers I believe they came with all the hardware, IIRC they were 18mm heads. I definitely suggest upper and lower control arm reinforcement plates, they either bolt or weld up to the control arm attachment points on the frame, prevents the metal in the area from twisting/tearing.
Old 11-20-2015, 07:59 PM
Urambo Tauro
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the stock bolts used 18mm tools as well.

Originally Posted by 88TTOPFOX
I don't recall the exact cost of the bolts. I just checked my records folder, but it looks like I didn't save that receipt.

From what I remember off the top of my head, the bolts weren't terribly expensive, like some dealership bolts or ARP kits. I want to say that I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of five bucks per bolt (I could be wrong). The UCA bolts looked good enough to re-use, so I only bought enough (4) for the LCAs, as they were pretty bad.

EDIT: I don't know why they didn't get thrown out, but I still had the old bolts sitting on my workbench! They are class 10.9 metric, and the shank seems to be 12mm. Length is 4 inches, or 4.5 overall if you count the head.

Last edited by Urambo Tauro; 11-20-2015 at 08:15 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM
88TTOPFOX

Awesome information guys. I picked up my donor 94 mustang to start my 5 lug conversion t his past weekend. Next I need some strut mount braces. Got a lot of work for this winter!