Notices
5.0L GT S550 Tech This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the GT variation of the 2015+ Ford Mustang.

Testing warranty theory

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:00 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

If you're down shifting to engine brake you blip the throttle as you go from the higher gear to the lower one and slip the clutch out. You don't just slam it into a lower gear and shock your drivetrain.

Anyways, a clutch blowing out at 1700 miles is just a defective part from the factory. Maybe some of the rivets weren't pressed all the way, maybe there was a crack in the disk or the fingers of the plate...who knows. Regardless, don't let the dealer tell you otherwise. IF there's no abuse, there's no reason it should not be covered with such low miles.

And yes, most of the Roush/Saleen cars use STOCK clutches regardless of the model so for the dealer to tell you that your bolt-ons and tune caused the failure is either ignorance or shenanigans.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:07 PM
viasevenvai

Originally Posted by whatsup62
Well it looks like I will be testing out that mod vs warranty question.
Driving home from work tonight on the interstate , not hard accelerating or anything. Went to go from 5th to 6th, pushed in clutch and nothing there, pedal went to the floor. Couldn't shift at all, tried the speed up and power off to shift couldn't get it to go. Got on a off ramp and it died. Stuck it in 2nd gear started up, starter was moving car, and babied it home. No pedal at all??? First thing I did was leave message for dealer and second was to change back to stock tune. I haven't done any mods to the drivetrain, just ones listed in my sig. We will see how it goes....1640 miles on it.
I'm assuming this might be a good time to ask how the repair is going.

Sounds really odd that at 5th gear speeds the clutch shattered and you not only didn't hear it but then got it home.

I swear these american cars have a clutch falling to the floor every minute.....
Old 06-21-2015, 07:39 AM
madweazl

Originally Posted by topangler25
what I meant was shifting from 2nd back to 1st. think it won't do anything, go ahead and do it.
I've never down shifted from 2nd to 1st but I've gone from 3rd to 2nd at every RPM you can imagine for the last three and a half years in my '12 without issue (got hot a couple times). Cant imagine this is easier on the clutch than a 2nd to 1st down shift (would expect the tires to lock up at higher RPM).
Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by viasevenvai
I'm assuming this might be a good time to ask how the repair is going.

Sounds really odd that at 5th gear speeds the clutch shattered and you not only didn't hear it but then got it home.

I swear these american cars have a clutch falling to the floor every minute.....
No update really....parts have not come in yet. Missing it badly.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:58 PM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

No update really....parts have not come in yet. Missing it badly.
Another week gone by and still no clutch disc. All other parts have been delivered to dealer ship. Two weeks and two days so far. Looks like the three week mark will be eclipsed.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:25 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

That is not right. How hard can it possibly be to get you a clutch disc.
Times change,not always for the better.When I was a kid and buying new muscle cars frequently and breaking everything breakable,I'd drop my car off one day and pick it up the next.They would REPAIR, not replace trannys,clutches, rear ends etc. This was on new model cars,no problem. I also had confidence in the dealers in the 60's,the mech. could fix things.Nickey Chevrolet was the best,They never gave me any crap about warranty work and fixed it right.
Now I am scared to take cars or motorcycles to the dealer, and avoid them as best I can.
Good luck.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:42 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by daytripper
That is not right. How hard can it possibly be to get you a clutch disc.
Times change,not always for the better.When I was a kid and buying new muscle cars frequently and breaking everything breakable,I'd drop my car off one day and pick it up the next.They would REPAIR, not replace trannys,clutches, rear ends etc. This was on new model cars,no problem. I also had confidence in the dealers in the 60's,the mech. could fix things.Nickey Chevrolet was the best,They never gave me any crap about warranty work and fixed it right.
Now I am scared to take cars or motorcycles to the dealer, and avoid them as best I can.
Good luck.
Jeez how old are you? Remember radiator repair shops?
Old 06-27-2015, 11:01 AM
daytripper
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
68. I loved radiator repair shops.They were like magic.They could take a piece of junk radiator and make it like new.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:58 AM
JimC

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Originally Posted by daytripper
68. I loved radiator repair shops.They were like magic.They could take a piece of junk radiator and make it like new.
I had to visit a radiator shop a couple years ago - stone came through the lower grille and punctured my heat exchanger for the supercharger. Pulled the exchanger off the car, dropped it off at their shop, and picked it up the next day back good as new!

And at 62 I remember there being a lot of radiator shops around, had to search for one this time.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 AM
whatsup62
1st Gear Member

Another week gone by and still no clutch disc. All other parts have been delivered to dealer ship. Two weeks and two days so far. Looks like the three week mark will be eclipsed.
Well this is becoming comedy central. Got the call today - Good news, Bad news.

Good news - Clutch disc came in.

Bad news - After it arrived a dealer in Georgia called and asked if they could have the part. We said no, we've been waiting on this for a customers car. The other dealer replied that they were in the same boat, they had been waiting on a warranty clutch for install themselves. They further said the clutch came in today but only had the disc in box, the kit (other parts needed) were missing out of the box, you should check yours.
Well guess what???? I understand Ford sent 30 of these out to various dealers waiting on them, all shorted the kit. Now with the holiday another week. Expecting parts mid week next week.
I forget what my car even looks like!!

Quick Reply: Testing warranty theory