Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush vs GT500 axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by dragline
man, i listened to sound clip after sound clip. one day it was roush for sure then the next i was sure the hushpowers were for me. then i heard the roush in person and was taken aback by how loud they actually were. i asked the dude if he'd done any other exhaust mods and he said that the axle back roush was it. i just couldn't see being that conspicuous. maybe 15 years ago but now, nah. went back to the forums and read several posts about how guys were liking the GT500 mufflers and when i saw the price i figured to give them a try. so, short story long, they're en route from american muscle. less than $300 after mustangforums.com discount. will post when i've swapped them out.
It can be challenging to decide from all the different sound clips out there, as they can make the same exhaust sound quite different. Try http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5eLFTbY4XE This was the best comparison (Roush vs Hushpower vs GT500) I've yet to find...has idle/rev, in car and drive-by sound. To me, the Roush's are pretty loud outside but had the best in car sound IMO, but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of these. Hope this clip helps anyone out there having trouble deciding between the two!

Last edited by Big_T_Judge; 03-12-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:16 AM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

thanks for posting big_T - good clip. i do like how the roush sounds inside the car. i was really scared off by hearing it in person. you're probably right, though, when you say you can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 PM
Big_T_Judge
1st Gear Member

thanks for posting big_T - good clip. i do like how the roush sounds inside the car. i was really scared off by hearing it in person. you're probably right, though, when you say you can't go wrong with any of them.
Definitely let us know how you like the GT500's. I'm still going back and forth between those and the Roush's. I'm only 25 and even I think the Roush's might be a little on the loud side, they sure sound mean though. I was thinking the GT500's with the ford racing x-pipe would probably have a great sound to it, as I love the sound of the GT500's, but just wish they were a bit louder. I guess I have some time to decide since when I called Ford this week they said it will be mid-April now before my 2012 is delivered
Old 03-14-2011, 07:29 PM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

just put the GT500s on this afternoon and, well, they're pretty much what i was hoping for: little bit louder/throatier at cold start & under acceleration but still civil enough for this soon-to-be-42 yr old man (tomorrow, in fact, is the big b-day thank you very much). at idle they are just like the stock mufflers, fairly subdued but with a little rumble. you won't have everybody giving you dirty looks but, when you do want attention, you know what to do - hint: it involves your right foot and and the gas pedal.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:43 AM
DarkCandy08GT
1st Gear Member

Best Video of the Roush

http://www.youtube.com/user/dcdefense1
Old 03-15-2011, 09:33 PM
ccbulldog
1st Gear Member

just put the GT500s on this afternoon and, well, they're pretty much what i was hoping for: little bit louder/throatier at cold start & under acceleration but still civil enough for this soon-to-be-42 yr old man (tomorrow, in fact, is the big b-day thank you very much). at idle they are just like the stock mufflers, fairly subdued but with a little rumble. you won't have everybody giving you dirty looks but, when you do want attention, you know what to do - hint: it involves your right foot and and the gas pedal.
how difficult were they to put on and did you do it yourself or pay a ahop to do it. If so, how much did it cost?. I have mine ordered and should be here by the end of the week. I'll probably just pay a auto shop to change mine out.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
Stockstangs
1st Gear Member

With a little patience you can do it yourself. I installed mine myself. It took a little longer than expected, but well worth the work. Very happy with the finished result- and saved a little money to be put towards other mods!
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
AzPete
4th Gear Member

I installed mine myself. About 1 hour and it was easy on a lift. Many have done it in the driveway on ramps. Cost shouldn't be more than a 1 hour labor charge...no parts needed at all.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:42 AM
dragline
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccbulldog
how difficult were they to put on and did you do it yourself or pay a ahop to do it. If so, how much did it cost?. I have mine ordered and should be here by the end of the week. I'll probably just pay a auto shop to change mine out.
put them on myself. took a couple of hours tops. i would think a shop would charge no more than an hour so it's kind of a toss up whether you do it yourself or have it done by a mechanic. i didn't want to wait so i just backed the car up on some ramps and got after it. if you plan on the DIY route, do yourself a favor and lube up the hanger pins with some 3-in-1 oil or equivalent - it will make it easier to slide them out of the rubber hanger mounts. also, there is a stamped/formed steel strut (not sure of its technical name - not much on suspension lingo) that will make your life a biotch getting the driver's side muffler off and on. i backed out the two bolts attaching it to the car and just left it connected on the other side. pull it down out of the way and you'll be happy you did.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:47 PM
cidsamuth
2nd Gear Member

I literally put the Roush mufflers on my car without even using ramps or jacking the car up. Took only 45 minutes.

Quick Reply: Roush vs GT500 axle back exhaust