Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Roush vs GT500 axle back exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Truckbutt
Banned

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Are you the gentleman from the other post that already expressed his concerns on the instructions from another forum??

We have made updates to the instructions based on the feedback from that other forum. We appreciated your feedback.
Ouch! I didn't know I was only allowed one forum per opinion.
I'm glad to hear that you've updated your instructions. Have you addressed the sharp edges on the airbox that cut my hand putting the brackets on the box, or the fact that the gasket doesn't stay put?
I know there are alot of people out there that like your CAI. Personally I think you could pay some more attention to detail. Just my 2c.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:18 PM
SFNMutt

Originally Posted by dragline
man, i listened to sound clip after sound clip. one day it was roush for sure then the next i was sure the hushpowers were for me. then i heard the roush in person and was taken aback by how loud they actually were. i asked the dude if he'd done any other exhaust mods and he said that the axle back roush was it. i just couldn't see being that conspicuous. maybe 15 years ago but now, nah. went back to the forums and read several posts about how guys were liking the GT500 mufflers and when i saw the price i figured to give them a try. so, short story long, they're en route from american muscle. less than $300 after mustangforums.com discount. will post when i've swapped them out.
just wanted to say thanks. I joined the site in 2006 when I bought my 1st GT but evidently I never posted. Now that I have a 2012 GT I guess it's time to stop lurking. I'm off to www.americanmuscle.com to pick up the gt500's everyone is recommending. They have em for $270 w/ free shipping.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:38 AM
dominant1
3rd Gear Member

I just got my Roush axle backs installed a couple of hours ago and let me tell you this car sounds angry now. The loudest sounds are under hard acceleration of course. They are not as loud as the boom tubes i had on my 2010. I don't think they are to loud but people do notice. In cabin sound is present but not intrusive at all. My old boom tubes were extremely intrusive. The fit is perfect as it should be. I kept my old mufflers, no way am I trashing a perfectly good set of stock mufflers with only 300 miles on them..

Last edited by dominant1; 10-20-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:03 PM
GhastlyTT

So, what exhaust do the GT500 guys run when they want something other than stock?

I too am debating "upgrading" a stock exhaust to another stock exhaust on my new GT.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:20 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by ccbulldog
Got my GT500 axle backs by UPS yesterday. Took them to a local muffler shop today and they charged me $50 to put them on. I must say they sound very good. I am well satisfied. They are louder at start up but once revs drop they are no louder than stock but have a nicer deeper sound. Driving around town slowly they are no louder than stock but when you hit the interstate and get down on it they really come alive And I've noticed no drone at all. I'm very happy with my very first mod. Next on my list is a CAI and computer tune. I'm leading toward steeda CAI with bama tune from AM, unless someone thinks there's something better out there. If there is, let me know.
They are louder at cruise than you think have a buddy you trust drive while you are outside and you'll see what I mean. This car has a lot of sound isolation...so you can't hear it as much, even with the windows down.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:27 PM
5.ohhhhh

I love the roush. The shelby axle backs are good to, i heard both but the roush just has this deep roar thats sounds so much better and its a bit louder, but if you do not want to be to loud then go with the shelby axles backs they sound really good to especially when you get an offroad x pipe or h pipe
Old 10-30-2011, 01:30 PM
Invisible11

I just got the GT500 axle backs from American Muscle and I love them. Like many others I did not want some too loud because this is my daily driver and they do the trick perfectly.

Can't give American Muscle enough credit for their customer service. They shipped my order of 11 items including the huge exhaust 50 minutes after I clicked the button on their site. It arrived at my house in 2 days even though I picked the free shipping.
Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 PM
IA Shelby
1st Gear Member

I have a 2011 GT500. I have both the stock and Roush.

Stock
+ Great Tone, Great Fit, No Drone, Not raspy at WOT, could hear the SC whine
- wanted more volume, exhaust tips are not fancy, heavy

Roush
+ Loud, Great tone while crusing in town, Nice exhaust tips, Good fit, Lighter
- Loud as hell, Glasspack sound above 4,000 rpm sounds cheap, For some reason backpressure changed and I lost some low end torque. Other GT500 owners who have installed Roush have said the same thing. I can no longer hear my SC at all.

I plan to either switch to Borla S Catback or go with an OR/H and stock GT500 axelback set up. Probably will go Borla S Catback to avoid OR issues.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:08 PM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

weird, the first thing I did when I picked up the car was change out the stock exhaust
Old 10-31-2011, 11:50 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Love my Roush, quiet at highway speeds, no drone, but under WOT they do get attention. It is all personal preference.

Quick Reply: Roush vs GT500 axle back exhaust