Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

which CAI do u guys think i shouild get for my 11 GT

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:52 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

In the US, there are laws that protect consumers from having warranties summarily voided just by the dealership seeing an aftermarket part.

The way it works is that if the dealership accuses the aftermarket part for causing a failure, we, the US car owner have the right to challenge the dealership and say "Prove it!" in which case the dealership must prove the aftermarket part is at fault.
If the part indeed is at fault, only then will the dealership have the right to deny warranty work.

Also, even if the aftermarket part is at fault, the warranty cannot be voided. For example, if you put on an aftermarket stereo, and the stereo causes your tail lights to burn out, and your transmissions fails because of a factory defect, Ford has no right whatsoever to void the warranty and they must still fix the transmission.

Now, for the tail lights, that is a different story, and Ford has every right to deny warranty work for fixing the tail lights because the stereo is indeed the cause of that.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:00 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JIM5.0
In the US, there are laws that protect consumers from having warranties summarily voided just by the dealership seeing an aftermarket part.

The way it works is that if the dealership accuses the aftermarket part for causing a failure, we, the US car owner have the right to challenge the dealership and say "Prove it!" in which case the dealership must prove the aftermarket part is at fault.
If the part indeed is at fault, only then will the dealership have the right to deny warranty work.

Also, even if the aftermarket part is at fault, the warranty cannot be voided. For example, if you put on an aftermarket stereo, and the stereo causes your tail lights to burn out, and your transmissions fails because of a factory defect, Ford has no right whatsoever to void the warranty and they must still fix the transmission.

Now, for the tail lights, that is a different story, and Ford has every right to deny warranty work for fixing the tail lights because the stereo is indeed the cause of that.
I think you are putting too much faith in the Ford waranty. With your reasoning you can use any CAI. Not just Steeda. And who cares about a broken tail-light. It's the big expenses that will kill you. Show up at the dealer with a damaged engine and a CAI and tune and see how far your warranty goes. You will be SOL. Whether it caused the damage or not is up to the Ford tech. They don't have to do anything.

Maybe someone with actual experience with this can chime in at this point.

Cheers.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:00 AM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

Maybe Ford in Canada has the right to abuse their customers like that, but in the US, we have the right to challenge the dealership to prove the aftermarket part caused the failure.
There are still too many people that simply bend over and take it when the dealerships dare to deny warranty because they see an aftermarket part, but they only bend over because they do not know their rights and US laws that protect them.

Additionally, we, the US customers have the right to appeal by way of BBB and SEMA. It's simply educating the masses of consumer protection laws so that we can fight any damn dealership that dares to summarily deny warranty service at the mere sight of aftermarket parts.

Do check out Canadian consumer protection laws. You all just might have something similar to protect you guys from "voids" and warranty denials.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:32 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

Pick the CAI based on what you like. They're all equivalent. It's the quality of the tune that should be your major concern and NOT the CAI.

I feel bad for you guyz that remove your CAI & tune to go to the dealers. I hope your skirts don't get caught in the door too often. I've never had an issue at the dealership regarding warranty work the 3 or 4 times I was at the dealership within my warranty period. And the same applied for ALL of my other vehicles that were modded in one way or another. If they want to keep your business, they either won't hassle you or, IF they do, they'll back down if your ballz are bigger than theirs. Of course, you skirts don't have any ballz.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:28 PM
nemosgt
2nd Gear Member

Man, I sure admire your passion and belief in the Ford warranty system, especially when most companies are out to screw you. I guess I'm getting too old and jaded. My dealer, who sells Roush and SVT, has been good to me, probably because I deal a lot with them. Still I assume that I may end up paying for any serious problems down the road. Yes, we have an automobile protection agency but when you go before them, it's your word against Ford and the final descision is not made by a jury, but by a judge or arbitor. Anyway we are not solving anything here. Each dealer may handle a situation differently in any case. Stay optimistic guys.

Cheers.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:38 PM
JIM5.0
5th Gear Member

No, its not that I have faith in the Ford warranty system or even their policies from other car companies. As a matter of fact, GM and Chrysler will try to screw you over just the same, unless we the consumers stand up and exercise our rights under the consumer laws that protect us.

The reason why the car companies screw you is because too many people psimply bend over and take it instead of escalating it within their rights.

As for the Canadian Auto board, it sounds like your regulations suck as far as protecting you and the aftermarket companies.

Come to the US; we have SEMA on our side to give us better rights, because if a dealer tech cannot prove the aftermarket part is at fault, it is not a word vs word issue. It becomes about lack of proof and the dealership will be the one bending over if they do not have good proof the aftermarket part caused the failure.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

for proof than can simply say they saw increased wear and damage well beyond regular use which is indicitive of a poor tune or too much horsepower beyond the engine specifications.. it's really easy for them to "prove it" enough for a judge to say yeahp you shouldn't have put that filter on there.

on the other hand, most CAIs wont do that kind of damage anyway so you shouldn't have to worry.

they can even say too much power to your transmission beyond factory specs caused it to fail too.. if I had a manual i'd make sure i didn't have any issues with it before modding.