Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

has anyone else gone through this

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 12:15 AM
LB0328

Default has anyone else gone through this

I have a 2011 Gt with manual just hit 4200 miles ordered in in sept of last year. just noticed coming home from work its whining pretty bad sounds like the dang thing is supercharged. 1st thru 3rd is the worse. i took a video you can hear it pretty good but cant figure out how to load it LOL. i've been reading around i know people having trouble shifting and such but mine is shifting decent i do notice a clunking noise in the front from time to time but it just mostly whining like crazy. anyone else going through this ? oh and to top everything off im stationed overseas in Germany so who knows how the customer service will be at the ford dealership ...
Old 08-14-2011, 02:29 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

is the whining based on RPM or does it constantly increase/decrease based on speed? If its based on speed, I'd say that points towards a differential problem. Otherwise I'd have the transmission looked at. The clunking is probably just driveline play, partly due to the two piece driveshaft. Mine clunks a little as well.

I have no idea how you'd take care of warranty work in Germany. I'd give Ford a call and see what they have to say.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:26 PM
WTFchuck
1st Gear Member

another thing is push on the shifter side to side or "further" into gear while its in gear and see if the whining gets louder...
Old 08-17-2011, 12:18 AM
mtflyboy25
3rd Gear Member

My synchros whine pretty bad in mine.... faster speed you got he worse it is, but the lower gear the worse also.. Cant hear it after 5k rpm or about 45 because the car is loud
Old 08-17-2011, 01:49 AM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

After installing my Barton shifter, I noticed some noise when I apply pressure to the shifter while running in gear, figured that's just due to less insulation in the shifter.
Old 08-17-2011, 12:32 PM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
After installing my Barton shifter, I noticed some noise when I apply pressure to the shifter while running in gear, figured that's just due to less insulation in the shifter.
People are having trannys replaced on this whine alone (myself included), I'd get it looked at as it is NOT normal. I feel for you though, I know EXACTLY what you are hearing and it DOES indeed remind me of a sc.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:57 PM
parchisi
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cbaty08
People are having trannys replaced on this whine alone (myself included), I'd get it looked at as it is NOT normal. I feel for you though, I know EXACTLY what you are hearing and it DOES indeed remind me of a sc.
My tranny doesn't have a problem. It was completely silent until I installed the Barton, and it only makes a very slight sound when I apply sideways pressure to the shifter when its in gear. Otherwise its completely silent.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:12 AM
cbaty08
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by parchisi
My tranny doesn't have a problem. It was completely silent until I installed the Barton, and it only makes a very slight sound when I apply sideways pressure to the shifter when its in gear. Otherwise its completely silent.
.......?

Wish mine as that way.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:37 PM
WildWes11
2nd Gear Member

Mmmm I used to have that whine ... twisted my driveshaft back into the transmission, put a one piece drive shaft in and no more whine :P
Old 08-19-2011, 07:12 AM
hawkeye18
3rd Gear Member

The whine OP is talking about (the same whine I have in mine) is produced somewhere on the input shaft side, thus the DS could not be the culprit. It's solely RPM dependent.