Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

My thoughts on Steeda

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 AM
SSKILLER5.0
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Hi guys, thanks for the endorsements.

I did want to comment on the MAF however. We position the housing where the MAF electronics bolt on to on the Boss specific intake in a different location than on the 5.0L GT.

On the 5.0L the MAF electronics will end up positioned on the side, on the BOSS specific cold air the electronics end up protruding beneath the MAF housing.

It can be turned but we cut out the velocity stack on the inside for clearance with the shield gasket trim so if you turn it then you will have trouble getting the top trim on correctly. On the BOSS setup the velocity stack is part of the MAF housing, not separate like in our other kits.
Interesting did not know that..that would explaine the difference in the sensor positioning between our two cars. My intake wasn't purchased boss specific the boss was added afterwards..will be interesting if he doesn't throw anymore codes though?? Can the boss housing be purchased stand alone? I had a whale of a time getting it to fit..as you can see on my picture the end closest to the cone is still "boogered" up. Its a tight seal no leaks however I hate the way it looks.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:10 AM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

We have an upgrade kit for owners of the existing Steeda 5.0L cold air using Boss intakes. We just released it last week.

The larger MAF also requires the larger tube and connectors, the kit comes complete with all of this and a template for modifying the heat shield to accept the larger MAF.

Most of our heat shields out there will not accept the larger MAF housing without a slight modification which is what the template is for. Only kits purchased from our stock in the past couple of months would not require modification.

Here is a link to the upgrade kit. http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-b...grade-kit.html

Using this upgrade kit would require a whole new tune as the MAF airflow curve is different.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:14 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by SteedaGus
Keep us posted but in my opinion that should not have fixed it. The new digital MAF's in these cars are very good and the position of the mass air around the tube is not as critical in this particular application since where the electronics ends up in the airstream they see good, turbulence free airflow thanks to the velocity stack.
I'll get afr's today. I've scheduled a dyno at 4pm this afternoon. I'll have them data log to see if anythings screwy.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:30 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

If they can datalog the parameters you were asked for that would be great, they will most likely at minimum find fuel trims are off since you set off a lean code.

I have a suspicion you may have been sent a tune for the smaller Steeda cold air. The one that is pictured earlier in this post with the MAF hook up on the side. Accidentally using that airflow curve would cause fuel trims to be off enough to set off the code.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:33 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

So...should I just let them tune it to the correct parameters and be done with it?
Old 04-10-2012, 12:51 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

I would rather see a datalog first and have the opportunity make a correction off that. We have a pretty good track record with these tunes so when something like this comes up it is usually a simple thing to correct. A dyno tune is going to cost more vs just simple dyno pulls. If you had already planned on just doing dyno pulls with your car then letting us correct the tune would not add any cost to that original plan vs a full dyno tune will be more costly.

The mass air on our Boss kit is a different size like I mentioned so using the airflow curve from our 5.0L kit is not going to work, your dyno shop will have to build their own curve for it and tune everything else on top of that. Any SCT shop is capable of doing the airflow curve but again that will cost more time and money.

For that time and money though you will get a calibration that is completely customized and perfected to your individual vehicle. So just think about it and decide what you want to do from there.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

How long would it take to get the correct tune sent to me?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:20 PM
Mishri
Mish-ogynist

yeah.. here is a pic of mine..

better pic:

I didn't have to dremel anything to get stuff to work, everything worked well. I didn't get a steeda tune though.. as you can tell from my sig
Old 04-10-2012, 04:11 PM
SteedaGus
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MoshpitMad
How long would it take to get the correct tune sent to me?
Well I just noticed you are on Colorado time, we are east coast at 4pm Colorado time we wont be able to turn that around quickly same day. You would need to do the dyno earlier to be within our working hours.

Last edited by SteedaGus; 04-10-2012 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:22 PM
MoshpitMad
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, being military...that sucks. Especially since I had to take a day off to receive my SCT tuner from you guys so I could be home to sign for it. Couldn't even sign the Fedex slip on the door.

Quick Reply: My thoughts on Steeda