Notices
5.0L V8 Technical Discussions Any questions about the 'Coyote' engine, transmission, exhaust, tuners/CAI, or gearing can be asked here!

Any high mileage Coyotes out there?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:49 PM
cariacou
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
Motor started knocking at about 18k, one dealer refused to look at it, and that is where I bought it. They said it was another dealers fault. The 'fault' dealer refused to even see the car w/ out a $200 deposit b/c "we can't be sure it's a warranty issue". Finally found a dealer that would look at it, find out that #2 rod bearing is shot. New motor finally put in at 25k.

If you have a tick that sounds like valve knock or anything close, take it in and have 'em check it out immediately.
did you have to pay anything ?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by cariacou
did you have to pay anything ?
Nope. Other than a pre-payment for the rental car, which I got back about a week later.

Car has about 45K on it now and it's running fine. (Other than having issues with a tire shop that installed my MT's. Looks like they've broken BOTH TPM Sensors on the back when installing the tires. Morons.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:52 PM
zachcrosen
1st Gear Member

Ive got about 22k on mine. However, they are hard miles. I was at the drag strip with 500 miles on it! I've been known to hot lap the car until the clutch starts slipping on me before I shut her down. I put the blower on about 2000 miles ago.

I have not noticed any problems yet and have only taken my car to the ealership for warranty work unrelated to the engine!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 PM
Code Vision
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Ditty
Motor started knocking at about 18k, one dealer refused to look at it, and that is where I bought it. They said it was another dealers fault. The 'fault' dealer refused to even see the car w/ out a $200 deposit b/c "we can't be sure it's a warranty issue". Finally found a dealer that would look at it, find out that #2 rod bearing is shot. New motor finally put in at 25k.

If you have a tick that sounds like valve knock or anything close, take it in and have 'em check it out immediately.
Hey Ditty,

In looking at videos and threads about the knocking, it seems to me that this term is applied to describe a handful of different sounds, and some of the conditions people hear the knocking under are different.

Any way you could describe the issue you had a bit further? Was it present at startup? Did it change with an oil change? Did it get worse as the car warmed up?

Sorry, its just that the dealer looked at mine this week after I brought it in for a sort of rattle/sliding sound that is a bit hard to describe, but is really only present when the car is hot. The dealer told me it was nothing harmful, and while I'm not convinced, a there are a number of people who report this issue and are saying they have no other problems....that this is not necessarily a problem.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:39 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by CFLstangGT
I bought a 2011 GT5.0; 43k miles... In service of 5/2010. Runs good, don't notice anything. I have been considering the Ford ESP... Hrm.
Don't waste your money, especially on a used car. They are expensive and the chance of you having a repair that would exceed the cost of the warranty are very small. Plus, a lot of them have deductibles meaning you still pay something out of pocket.

Lets say the plan costs $2K and the deductible is $200. Your AC goes out, that's about $1,500 from the dealer if the Compressor and other parts need replacing, $1K everywhere else.

You already paid $2K for the warranty, plus the dealer wants you to ponly up the $200 deductible. You essentially paid $2,200 for a job that would've cost $1,500 or less.... Does that sound like a deal?

In the past I swore by the ESP (had it on my last 3 fords) however I have NEVER used it other than for the free loaner car when I took my car in for service that lasted more than a day.
Old 05-19-2013, 07:21 AM
lnchewitt

Hi, a new member to the forum mainly because of my problem with my Mustang. It is a 2011 mt with 67k miles on it. I have noticed that when I reach about 3k rpm and put my foot to the floor it starts to pull great then I can feel/hear a change in the pull like it is leaning out. Trying to track the problem down but other than tires (he he) I drive it like I stole it and can't wait for another one.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Ditty
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Code Vision
Hey Ditty,

In looking at videos and threads about the knocking, it seems to me that this term is applied to describe a handful of different sounds, and some of the conditions people hear the knocking under are different.

Any way you could describe the issue you had a bit further? Was it present at startup? Did it change with an oil change? Did it get worse as the car warmed up?

Sorry, its just that the dealer looked at mine this week after I brought it in for a sort of rattle/sliding sound that is a bit hard to describe, but is really only present when the car is hot. The dealer told me it was nothing harmful, and while I'm not convinced, a there are a number of people who report this issue and are saying they have no other problems....that this is not necessarily a problem.
My whole issue started after my car accident when the car was taken to a dealer that I already knew had issues with not doing work correctly. The body shop took it to them b/c the TC and the CEL wouldn't go off after the accident. I was told, and have paperwork that this dealership did an oil change while it was there.

About 2 months after the accident repairs were completed, I started hearing a faint knock from the drivers side. Not a tick. I checked the oil and it only had 2 qts in it. I filled it and took it around to the dealer I bought it from, they refused to service it other than an oil change. Took it to the dealer that did work for the body shop and they wanted $200 just to look at the car. I contacted Ford Customer Service and they told me to let them know where I was taking it before I took it anywhere else and they would call ahead an "ensure" that it was looked at.

This dealer initially said it was "normal" and it common, "nothing to worry about" and handed me a printout of a TSB for a Boss 302. I drove on it for 2 more weeks and it was getting really loud, like embarrassingly loud. Took it back, they looked again, and said that the #2 rod bearing was spun. They ordered a new engine and all is well.

I know it was the fault of the dealer that worked on the car before I got it back from the body shop. They claimed they replaced the ECU and did a "Full Service" on the car. Ford has NO record of them ordering or replacing my ECU and they obviously didn't do a full service as I would have had more than 2 qts of oil in a car that requires 8 qts.
First time they did the oil change and said that it was 2 qts low.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:07 PM
conejo172
4th Gear Member

I'm at 54,000 miles on mine. I have had the a/c compressor, trans whine, and axle breather fixed/replaced, all under warranty. My car also has the intermittent tick which began after the first oil change, I have taken it to 2 separate dealers and not been fixed as of yet.

I have never had a CAI or Tune on this car because of the tick, but in 6,000 miles when the factory drivetrain warranty expires. The go fast mods will begin.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:40 PM
jdos1

54k miles on my 11.

No issues with the motor. Had the trans replaced and an oil seal on the passenger side cam position sensor replaced.

It's in right now for warranty work. I'd advise everyone to check their hood lips for signs of corrosion under the paint that looks like it's making the paint bubble up. It's a widespread issue that hasn't gotten much attention on the forums.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:44 PM
sofaking5.0
1st Gear Member

Default 29K

Ditty,
No offense man but I don't want you anywhere near my car
Thing would probably get hit by a meteor or something!

Anyway, 29,000 on my 12 GT and it's running like a dream. I'm already planning our 25 year anniversary road trip

Quick Reply: Any high mileage Coyotes out there?