Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Complete Stereo Noob Need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Moosetang
3rd Gear Member

Default Complete Stereo Noob Need some help

OK guys I bought a 10in MTX. I'm usually all performance but what the hell I gotta good deal. Ok I have a 94 GT and in the trunk the factory speakers are mounted face against the top of the trunk. How do I tap into that and I can run off of my 50x4 cd player right? Also, should I just mount the 10 like that too. I don't really wanna build a box for one 10.

Anything usefull is needed
thanks
Old 06-27-2004, 09:42 PM
Krusher
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Complete Stereo Noob Need some help

your head unit is not capable of powering a subwoofer. You need an external amp.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:56 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

you also most likely need a box for your sub, unless its a free air style which suck. you sub may need a small or large box - depending on the type.
Old 06-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Rons2001GT

what kind of head unit do you have? (I'm hoping its an aftermarker one) Does it have an RCA out for the amplifier?

--If it does you can probably pick up a cheap amp somewhere, find a sealed box (I think they sell them a walmart), run some wire and be done with the thing. (I'm guessing here you just want some thump in the trunk so you can have it all done for probably less than $100)

--If it doesn't, I do know that they sell amplifiers that can amplify sound directly from the speaker wires, but they are so bad that most ppl don't even bother. But then again it depends what you are looking for.

IMO, if you don't have a head unit with an RCA out, and you don't want to buy a new one with RCA's, I would just sell the sub and cut your losses, but that's just my $.02
Old 07-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Marc_03GT
1st Gear Member

I agree 100% with Rons2001GT. If you have the stock headunit and arn't planning on upgrading then loose the sub. You'll be really disapointed if you try and rig it.

-Marc
Old 07-12-2004, 06:00 AM
Spooky82

You definetly need an aftermarket player if you want it to make it worth your time. They are very easy to install. Next you need an amp, a box, and a wiring kit. The kit will have all you need to wire the amp up too your car. You need to run your audio wires from the back of your aftermarket radio back to your amp. Then you need to run a power wire from your battery to your amp. Then a ground from your amp to an solid ground in your trunk. They do make kit to tap into your fattory wiring(can think of what it's called right now) but your better of to get a new player(the other way sounds like ****. But you'll still need to buy an amp. If you have a Best Buy around they are usually really good at getting what you need. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:37 AM
DriftAngle45

ya your cd player says 50X4 its really saying 10 watts rms. As far as getting a new head unit if your content with the one you have pretty much all amps that you buy come with a High Level input instead of using the RCA hookup which is the best way. you run the back two channels to the amp, which feed's it signal and you get your power for the sub the only problem with that you don't have much control of the sub you can't just turn it down or up from the headunit. and you got to do all the wiring from the battery and ground it and run the remote wire to power the amp. and ontop of that MTX isn't that good of a sub.