Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Make own sequentials

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:16 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Thanks a lot Devon! I can't wait to see the pics. This is now getting to my knowledge threshold lol. Now we are into MOSFET transistors and IC's. I was fuzzy on exactly how the 555 timer worked and not there is an IC with 16 pins lol

I'll apologize here on out if I'm asking basic stupid questions on functions of these components and how they interact with each other.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:17 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by cliffyk
Excellent!

As you undoubtedly know, the IC is a dual monostable timer--the timers are cascaded.

One question, are you certain it's a 170Ω resistor? That's a non-standard value in any resistor series.

Originally Posted by smitty2919
Thanks a lot Devon! I can't wait to see the pics. This is now getting to my knowledge threshold lol. Now we are into MOSFET transistors and IC's. I was fuzzy on exactly how the 555 timer worked and not there is an IC with 16 pins lol

I'll apologize here on out if I'm asking basic stupid questions on functions of these components and how they interact with each other.

Ok, some pictures...unfortunately, only about half of them came out clear, good thing I took like 20 some pics lol. I turned the flash off several times, and those were the ones that actually are visible.

OK so the resistor I am calling a 170k is brown-purple-yellow-gold. So thats 1-7-0000 right? With a 5% Tolerance? I think if I remember right that is lol
Old 08-02-2010, 10:07 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Devon, I forgot if you said anything about you're flasher. Did you get a different one with the kit you bought?

That little contraption is more organized/nicer than anything I could throw together in my basement....

I'm glad the mystery of how these are made is now cracked! lol When I thought of this I searched for a week straight online to find a thread, like this has become, for some pics and components.

Anyone care to do a little explanation on how these parts interact with eachother and how they perform within this circuit?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

No new flasher, the stock wiring harness gets modified slightly, but that's it. When i get more time, I will try to build the identical circuit in SPICE-but since I never knew what it was until cliff mentioned using it, I don't really know how to do much in it yet, and I am still pretty swamped at work right now. I know, I should be working lol. I am multitasking!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:48 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I went to the junkyard and picked up two stock wiring harness out of a 96 crown vic I think it was. Has the same female connector and the same style bulb sockets. I just need to wire in a reverse light socket to the already present 3 bulbs in the harness.

EDIT: Devon is there any chance of getting your pics vertically? Instead of horizontally...thanks if you can.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:42 PM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Update for you guys, I found a supplier for the boards, they are on back order until the end of the month though. I have priced out the ics, and the mosfets, I am going to wait to price the resistors and caps to make sure I have the right values(tearing it back apart). Regardless, I am ordering enough parts to make 50 sets. I will make all 50 sets, and sell them here or ebay or where ever. So, for anyone reading this, PM me if you are interested in having a set. I haven't set a price until I see how long it takes me to make them. The cost is going to be a little more than I anticipated, but I am ball parking that I can sell these for 35-45 bux and still make a profit.
Old 10-04-2010, 06:15 AM
devongarver
5th Gear Member

Another update:

First off, no, I'm not dead.
Second, work sucks-I have been SO FLIPPING BUSY!!!!!

Now for the meat and potatoes...
I received 90% of the parts in and built the first circuit Saturday. worked Perfectly. I ahve it installed on my mustang, and the orignal one out for use for prototyping. I am still waiting to receive the batch of spade terminals I purchased a month ago...emailing the guy shortly. They are a special terminal which plugs into the back of the inside tail lamp socket. Once i get those pieces in, I will be able to complete the kits in their entirety. I found that there is a fairly lengthy bit of board mods in removing traces on the back and the whole process is pretty time consuming. I will not post any more info about the sale of these, because I am not a site sponsor. But PM or email me if you want more information.