Carolina Regional Chapter Chapter President: HT

St Jude event

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 08:27 PM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Jason, I have a spreadsheet with contact emails for the vendors that supported us for the WWP event. It includes those that helped us and those that didn't. I will get that over to you guys for review. No More Chemo Cruise sounds pretty good to me, we can see what the others think. I can get windshield banners made again if we want to go that route again.

Like you, I plan on being at Mustang Week (Saturday only). I want to be sure to see LMR, BBR and anyone else that supported us for the WWP event. I also want to see some that didn't (Lethal). It is usually harder to turn someone down in person. I do wonder is October is too soon to go back to the vendors that supported us in the spring. It may not be at all.

I definitely would like to see the banner. Please send the link.

We would have to have a really good turnout to make money after spending $5,500. Would we have to put the $5,500 up front? If so, that makes it even more difficult, unless we can get by with a deposit and pay the remainder from the recievables.

One of us should reach out to the Camaro group organizer and get some details from him. I still have some WWP stuff I could send them to sell if they want. I guess it is OK for the bowtie guys as long as they are raising money for WWP. Let me know if you want me to contact him. I noticed that there is a $40 entry fee and $10 for spectators. Would we get all of that money? The Camaro guys are there for two days.

I would like to hear what some of the other guys think.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Originally Posted by jayman33
Alright everyone, I have a few updates. We now have a direct contact with St. Jude and after we get the venue and name of our event we will be receiving a coordination packet. Name we came up with is the "No More Chemo Cruise", St. Jude has a division "Cruising for St. Jude" so it sounded fitting. Let me know what you guys think on the name.
Past couple days Kristen and I have been compiling local vendors (dealerships, Mustang auto shops, etc) along with a list of regional vendors (lethal, AM, Evolution, JPC, Holcomb, etc). Kristen has already designed a promotional banner via vistaprint (flyers will be provided by St. Jude), let me know if anyone wants the username and password to take a look at the concept.

Now to the venues; we've corresponded a few times with the Fayetteville dragstrip. The normal cost is 8k to rent out the track for the entire day, he knocked it down to 5500 due to the type of charity we are doing. If you ask me 5500 is still outrageous of a price but thats just my opinion. Camaro South will be holding a 2nd annual "Camaros for Heroes" for the WWP on June 15-16. Its open to all street cars so I'll be attending if anyone else wants to go, I would like to get some ideas. From what I've gathered, they're doing the same event we are all interested in hosting.

You can find information on the "Camaros for Heroes" here, http://www.fayettevillemotorsportspark.com/index.html

Let me know what you guys think, the date we were looking at was Oct 13th and we'll be following up with the track on Friday to confirm this date is available. I know we planned a Dragon run for Sept/ Oct so please give me some feedback. Haven't made any promises yet to anyone but before we can get materials from St. Jude we have to lock down a date. St. Jude is expecting to hear from us on Friday. Let us know of any questions you may have to bring up with either the dragway or St. Jude.

jjaym33@hotmail.com or 734 306 5231
Big props to you and Kristen for what you've already accomplished!!

I like the name.

$5500 is a large chunk to come up with up front. Maybe we could hold a few events prior and use some of that money to help cover that cost? There's so much going on throughout the summer I am not sure that we'd have time to hold enough events to come up with that amount by October. Maybe we could push the drag event back to the spring sort of like a kick off the car season type of event?
Old 05-31-2012, 06:26 AM
jayman33
Banned

There is a possibility that the camaro group is holding their event without renting. Ill let you guys know tomorrow after we talk to them.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:45 AM
alan0614
6th Gear Member

Great Jason. If they want/need the remaining WWP stuff get me a shipping address. I have some lapel pins, stickers, magnets and bracelets left. Not sure but I think I also have a windshield banner or two left.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:05 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

Is it possible that Pro-Dyno or another dyno shop could help chip in for the track coverage? I'm assuming they have a mobile unit that could be set up there that would justify their contribution from a business perspective.

The only way getting the track covered will work is having several events and setting aside a portion or all of the proceeds towards the track. I"m actually not sure how that would work since the money is not going to St. Jude, more of an "operations" cost.

Does anyone know how many cars show up for "test and tune" night at Fayetteville? At Darlington its $20 for 6-7 hours, so you need 275 cars to show up to break even at the $5500 mark. For a 12 hour day, it seems reasonable to charge 40-50 dollars a car, and it is something I would pay if i intended on staying for the whole time. However I don't think anyone will stay for the full time so 20-40 puts it in a more reasonable spending range. We still need in the 300 range of cars showing up to make this work, IF we were planning on having to reimburse someone for the 5500.

Few other ideas:
We can't limit this to mustangs or we won't get the turnout we need. Is it possible to have a car show and the dragstrip at the same time?
Does the track prevent us from selling food?
Would the owner be agreeable to holding an all day "Test and Tune", charging $10 over the usual price which would go towards St Jude?

Last edited by clowe1965; 05-31-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 AM
jayman33
Banned

From what I gathered is we can make/ bring food and any vendors are welcome to attend. I just found out a good buddy of ours who is the president of Fishing to Fight Cancer knows the owner of the dragstrip. I'll see what I can do as far as price, if we can't get it down I think it would be best to hold the event during an "open day". This is what the camaros guys are doing, I'll know how successful that is after I attend their event on the 15th. I don't think we should hold the event to only Mustangs either, the more the merrier.
One of our last events we had Smithfield BBQ as a vendor, I'll have Kristen engage with them and see what we can pull off. 5 dollar donations for BBQ plates I think people would be willing to pay. Also Kristen and some of her friends are intending on baking sweets along with candied apples seeing as it will be Oct.
Holding a car show during this event would be a great idea. The venue has plenty of room to hold hundreds of cars. Multiple events would not be hard to pull off. We should be able to find out more info today from both the Strip and Dragway.

After reading the banner for the camaro guys they're basically increasing the price of admission. From 6pm until complete they are charging 10 for admission and 40 to put your car in the event. The price is normally 10 for admission and 10 to run the car. 50 dollars to enter the event, run your car and enter a car show seems a little steep but I think people would be willing to pay.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 PM
Jeffk
6th Gear Member

Location: Thomasville, NC Where we beat headers into submission!!

Here's what Pro-dyno has to say about hosting an event...

Info regarding holding an event at Pro-dyno...

Dyno Dan said that we can get on the April 2013 calendar. He doesn't charge anything and provides the food. He gets his money back from advertising and dyno/tune fees. He would ask for some help with the cooking. Other than that, everything else is up to us. He asked that whatever we do, other than covering our costs, all proceeds go to St. Jude.
Dan suggested a high HP trophy, we could have a fan favorite as well.

Thanks to Alan who actually talked to Dan but is busy at work and can't post right now.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:08 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Easy enough. If we do that, I'll grill.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:37 PM
clowe1965
6th Gear Member

The Pro-dyno event was fun last time. I'll help John with grilling. I emailed Carolina Motorsports Park today, hopefully I will hear from them sometime this week. Unless they go with the charity laps option, I am skeptical if we can pull this one off because of the expected price relative to renting a drag strip. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:17 PM
jayman33
Banned

Talked to the strip today, no need to rent it out. Although it will be an open day the day will be advertised on their calender and website as the "No more chemo cruise" hosted by the Mustang MFers Carolina Regional Chapter. Oct 13th is fine with them, they will dedicate that day for us. I'll check and see how the day goes for the Camaro folks on the 15th. The owner (Alfonso) is expecting to meet up in person on the 15th to go over on some of the details with us. Who would like to attend the event on the 15th? It would be a good idea for some to attend therefore we can get an idea of the size, location of events, etc.

Does pro dyno offer a mobile dyno? That would be great if we could get a mobile dyno machine out here, that could generate money.

I'll be looking at local vendors next week to see who we can pull in. The individuals who run "fishing to fight cancer" want to help out as much as they can which is great as they're locals.

Let me know what you guys think. Trying not to move too fast but Kristen is tough to slow down once she gets started.

Quick Reply: St Jude event