Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Rotisserie = RoTWISTerie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 10:06 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Default Rotisserie = RoTWISTerie?

Hey everyone, my dad is interested in building a rotisserie but he said he has read online that they twist/tweak the body of these cars. Is this true? I have not heard anything about this but he wanted me to ask all of you experts to be sure.

The best I could fathom is it could twist these cars if the car is a rust bucket and the frame, floors, or rockers are swiss cheese. My dads cobra jet is in great shape for the most part, very little rust. It will be okay on a rotisserie right? He just wants to do some good blasting and cleaning on the underside and everything else.

Thanks everyone
Old 11-10-2009, 11:24 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

I over built my rotisserie so it wouldn't flex and I tack welded some braces in the door openings. I only put the braces in since I had to cut off and replace the roof while I had it in the air but if he is worried it wouldn't hurt to put them in just in case.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:13 AM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

^^^THIS^^^
Old 11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Its better to do panel alignment like the doors, quarters, and front end with the car sitting on its suspension or close to it. If you lift it up by the ends and cut everything out of the middle, then sure it will sag. Do the critical stuff with it sitting on suspension points, and use the rotisserie for sand blasting, cleaning, and painting the underside.

If the car would bend with a full floor and good frame rails, it would bend or twist as soon as you applied power or hit a large bump. Its still highly advisable to remove everything before you put it up on the rotisserie though, no need to suspens the drivetrain and interior if you dont have to.
Old 11-11-2009, 05:49 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Structural integrity must be achieved BEFORE rotating the car. Here's an extreme case:

Old 11-11-2009, 09:39 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Who's Shelby is that ?
Old 11-11-2009, 03:12 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll let my dad know its OK. We're still in the process of stripping the car though, so rotisserie will be in a little while
Old 11-11-2009, 07:13 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Im seriously considering pulling the trigger on one from Summit, they sell one for $899 but it doesnt have the hydraulic rams. I happen to have two of those laying around, so why not, right?
Old 11-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Tony R
4th Gear Member

Dont spend 900 bucks on a pre built one. I have about 275 in mine and that is wheels bolts and steel. I think I have roughly 3 days of fabricating . Mostly because it was all figuring out how I wanted to build it to make sure it would work for any car I put on it.
Old 11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
hiboostwoody
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
Its better to do panel alignment like the doors, quarters, and front end with the car sitting on its suspension or close to it. If you lift it up by the ends and cut everything out of the middle, then sure it will sag. Do the critical stuff with it sitting on suspension points, and use the rotisserie for sand blasting, cleaning, and painting the underside.

If the car would bend with a full floor and good frame rails, it would bend or twist as soon as you applied power or hit a large bump. Its still highly advisable to remove everything before you put it up on the rotisserie though, no need to suspens the drivetrain and interior if you dont have to.
THIS too.

Quick Reply: Rotisserie = RoTWISTerie?