Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Stupid welding question

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:14 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Default Stupid welding question

It has been a week or so since I practiced a little on my welding and apparently I forgot to shut off my tank the last I used it. I went to use it and turn the tank on only to find it was on and the first gauge was at zero with no pressure. I was getting really crappy welds so there was no gas coming out.
I have only practiced several times so I don't think I used toooo much gas to run it empty.

Could the tank self empty if I accidentally left the tank fully open for a week or so???

If it can, I just learned an expensive lesson.

Lynn
Old 05-16-2010, 12:19 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Perhaps if you have a leak in the connection or the regulator. I have left mine on for weeks like a dolt, but don't lose any gas.
When you get your tank refilled get some soapy water and look for leaks.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

Thanks, I figured as much...
I called the guy that was showing how to weld also and said the same thing.
An expensive lesson to learn.....
It was a great way to shoot my afternoon all to heck.
Lynn
Old 05-16-2010, 09:07 PM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

I did that once and lost all my gas too. I only did it once - so far!
Old 05-17-2010, 12:37 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Wonder if you could rig up a nitrous bottle opener to it so you can just flip a switch to turn it off.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:58 AM
LynnBob Mustang
5th Gear Member

At least I'm not the only one!
It was like throwing $36 into the wind.

Lynn
Old 05-19-2010, 06:29 PM
72fastback
1st Gear Member

Forget about the nitrous option there are strict regulations when it comes to high pressure gas cylinders.One wrong thing and boom.A guy I used to work with got burned when an oxygen leak ignited the oil in his work clothes.He was rushed to the hospital with third degree burns.
Old 05-20-2010, 05:20 PM
GT350R Klone
2nd Gear Member

After you get it refilled, it would be worth the time as scoot said and try to see if you have a leak in a connection somewhere. You don't want the gas leaking even when you are using it.
Old 06-20-2010, 12:43 PM
Webdoc

Guys, also be sure to open the valve on the cylinder completely and don't just give it a twist when you open it. High pressure cylinders have a two seat valve due to the extreme pressure. If you don't open it all the way up and hit that second seat, it can leak around the valve stem. Been selling gas and welding supplies for 20 years and I see it all the time. Also are you sure your distributor didn't accidentally give you an empty cylinder? Might mention this when you go in for a fill, most suppliers will give you the benefit of the doubt (at least the first time).
Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Webdoc
Guys, also be sure to open the valve on the cylinder completely and don't just give it a twist when you open it. High pressure cylinders have a two seat valve due to the extreme pressure. If you don't open it all the way up and hit that second seat, it can leak around the valve stem. Been selling gas and welding supplies for 20 years and I see it all the time.
Too right! Amazing how many people don't know this. I have even had to remind professionals to turn the valve full on when using high pressure bottles, otherwise you're probably wasting gas through the seal the whole time. The packing in the valve stem nut is not intended to resist 2000-3000 psi.

Note- Do this on high-pressure bottles, such as the O2 welding bottle and MIG welder bottle. DO NOT open acetylene valves all the way. That's a needle valve and less than a turn usually does it.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-24-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Stupid welding question