Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech) > Classic Mustang General Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustang General Discussion Make your non-Technical threads/posts in here.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #1
Aguila1

Vehicle: 1973 Ford Ranchero 500
Default 1967 Mustang fastback valuation

I came across a '67 "A" code fastback, "secretary car". It still has the lo-pi 289/C4, no A/C, no disks, not GT, fold-down, missing console. Mostly complete, but all worn. Kept under a car shed, it hasn't run in years. The repaint from long-ago is flat, some cracking of body filler through, some rust coming out from trunk lid, lower door, seams and fit look good. Overall, relatively solid southern car - from what I can see. Engine dirty, covered with mildew and oil, owner not inclined to allow test drives. He says it runs "good", starts and runs OK, but I see a car that needs everything, especially if I'm planning to more than double or triple the factory horsepower with an engine swap.

The owner wants $16K. It seems like a pile of money for so little car. I'm considering hiring a professional appraiser to see if he will come down to Earth.

Any ideas of the value, based on my description? I look on eBay and see most are no-sales. I see lots of high asking prices and more desirably-optioned cars fetching big bucks at auction. I also see high-end builds, as this would be, not selling well.

Buyer's remorse before buying in South Carolina.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
Aguila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:18 PM   #2
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 69 Grande' Coupe / 67 A Fastback

Some pictures would be nice. But for 16K this car should be at least clean and good looking with shiny paint. In the condition you describe, I could see it going for about 8-9k. I could have and would have paid 7 for mine, in the description you provided, but with the body half primed, and barely running.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665602
boogerschnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:57 PM   #3
woodvette
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang

yeah, from your description, i would not pay anywhere near $16K. hard to say a price without some pics though. i have seen a lot of high prices for junk in my area lately without sales. not sure what people are thinking...
woodvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 69 Grande' Coupe / 67 A Fastback

In fact, there are some nice 67 Fastback cars on Craigslist here in San Diego, that you could buy and ship for cheaper than the one you are describing.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2665602
boogerschnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #5
Aguila1

Vehicle: 1973 Ford Ranchero 500
Default Photographs of 1967 "A" code fastback

Thank you for your input so far! Here are some photographs for a more accurate appraisal. I'm just looking to offer a fair price based on today's market reality.

Aguila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 07:26 AM   #6
woodvette
1st Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967, Ford, Mustang

not as bad as i thought but still needs a lot. seats look good, carpet and dash areas look bad. i would expect to rebuild engine, trans, brakes, etc. good bit of body work if you say the filler is cracking. you don't know what is under it either. check the floors and torque boxes thoroughly and other rust prone areas. really does not have any options except for the V8. it is a fastback though. i still would not pay near $16k. good luck.
woodvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 05:21 PM   #7
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Vehicle: 1967 Fastback & 2002 GT Convertible

Whoever cut the speaker holes in the rear panels should be shot but other than that it doesn't look too molested.

Figure out how much you are willing to pay then make an offer.

Cash talks.

Governments are extremely dangerous.
Death, imprisonment, theft of property
and loss of freedom will result from
giving them too much power.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 04-09-2014 at 05:24 PM.
fastbackford351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM   #8
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1965 Ford Mustang

I don't see that much money there either, but it is cool that its basically unmolested. I'd say its worth less than half that much, but it is a fastback, so maybe its worth 8-10k.

tx65coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:47 AM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement