Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

to restore or make fast

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: to restore or make fast

Why can't you simply restore it to look good, be fast, and corner considerably well? I know I did that and it seems to have worked out prety good...it does cost money though...what's the budget?
Old 11-26-2007, 02:16 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Thisa question has been asked many times here before, and I'm sure many times to come. It ultimately comes down to what you want to do. We all can sit here and tell you to do this or that, but are you going to be happy with the end result? Everybody opinions differ, as you may see here in this forum, things have gotten pretty heated. I do hwat I think will make me happy, asking others of their opinion, and taking all said into consideration. But it has to make you happy since you are the one spending the dough and driving it. As for my opinion, the stock look looked great back in the 60's and 70's, but today, mod it up. Unless you are joining the weekend granny club, make it what it is, a muscle car. There are many great suspension and handling mods, braking mods, exhaust, and great stroker engines that were not available 40 years ago. Use the technology that is available to you to mamke it an awesome car. Good luck in which ever you choose.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:41 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

Why can't you simply restore it to look good, be fast, and corner considerably well? I know I did that and it seems to have worked out prety good...it does cost money though...what's the budget?
I followed this approach as well as I like to drive the car and would be less likely if I restored it to off the showroom floor condition. Other than a slightly lower stance, it looks all stock until you open the hood or look at the suspension and driveline. The EFI swap should be done by New Years.
Old 11-26-2007, 02:49 PM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

I think in the end, it really comes down to the history of the car, and what it's worth not only to you, but to the market.

If you have an original GT fastback, and decide to make it a race car, three things:
- You probably will never get your money back out of the racecar;
- You just made the other GT Fastback's out there more valuable, since there's ultimately one less of them
-It's quite possiblethat you could come close to getting your money back if you restored it, if and when you decide to sell it.

If, on the otherhand, it's a 6 Cylinder standard fastback, that's completely a basket - that's a different story.

However, fastbacks in general are a very desireable model.My opinion? Make it a restomod, that you can easily turn back to original to preserve a piece of history. Want a race car? Make one out of a 6 cylinder coupe basket case.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:14 PM
mjr46
D.R. THE PATHETIC DORK

ORIGINAL: andrewmp6

Kinda hard to do a frame off on a car that dont have a frame.Its your car do whatever you want thats makes you happy.Your wallet is the only limit on what can be done to a early mustang.
No shyt Shirlock!![>:].....it's a term in the industry that is often used even though a lot of cars have a uni-body construction(there ya' go happy now, correct term) to refer to a total ground up resto by removing every nut and bolt and piece and refinish/replace all.....even though the term I used it incorrectly.. I did so knowingly to get a point across on the type of resto's that trailer queens revolve around........damnsomeof you read to literally and take things as such
Old 11-26-2007, 05:19 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

If the car is basically stock and original go with that approach. If the numbers aren't matching and things have been modified go with the restomod approach!! Either way you are going to spend some $$$$$$!!!!! Good Luck!!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:22 PM
6marc5
3rd Gear Member

How about both? Upgrade the brakes and suspension,maybe build you a hotter engine but then keep the interior and body stock........IE sleeper, or do a ***** out restomod or a factory restore. It's your car to build the way you want it.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:29 PM
ideal_mustangs
4th Gear Member

I would say go for the sleeper type. Make it look stock (which is what I prefer), but have the motor upgraded some. I personally think the steering, handling, transmissions, and things are what makes these cars fun to drive. It's something different than driving a new car. If I wanted to drive a new mustang I'd but one of them. Just like the little quirks you get with the old technology.
Just my 2 cents worth