Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Mechanical - done.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 07:45 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default Mechanical - done.

Finally finished up the mechanical end of things, I can now start focusing on interior and then come to some kind of conclusion on paint.

So far I've repaired or replaced :

Transmission - repaired.
Air condition - repaired.

Shifter housing ( interior ) - replaced.
Complete brake job, including master cyl. ( everything new from drums to wheel cyl to brake lines )
New set of Craiger SS old school rims and 60 series tires.
New rear springs. ( I replaced all the U bolts and brackets as well as went with a stiffer spring. )
New fuel tank and lines. ( only thing I didn't replace is the gas cap, it's the original one. )
Complete front suspension (minus the rack and steering gear box. Both were in really good shape. ) Includes new controll arms upper and lower, all tie rod ends. new sway bar and busings, new springs and cradles w/ insulators, swing arm link, etc.
New export brace. ( if you were ever hesitant on replacing this, do it. It's the best money spent IMO ).

I'm not doing too bad either. as I have posted about in the past, I'm not physically capable of doing most of this work so I've farmed out what I can't do. ( which is just about everything at this point. ) Thank goodness for friends in the business.

I have all the interior in my garage waiting, now just to drum up enough money to get someone to help me. I went with Parchment for everything and will paint the interior the same as the car when the wife can finally decide on a color.

The car drives like a champ. I was concerned that with all the new suspension parts that the steering box would be showing its age. It's tight and not binding any at all. There's about 2 or so inces movent each way. Which is not too damn shabby for a 40 yr old box.

Anywho - just thought I'd give an update. Being a daily driver and what not, it's hard to stop driving it for repairs, lol.

Old 09-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Mechanical - done.

Sounds like you are doing great. I have always thought the vinyl rood looked good on a classic coupe. Have you attempted to adjust the box yet? Might be worth while.
Keep up the great work!

Scott
Old 09-02-2006, 11:00 AM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Mechanical - done.

I'll most likely try to adjust it today. After putting a few miles on the new stuff it's still about the same. Best money I've spent so far is on the suspension - what a diff. that made.

I just wish I could convince the waie ( slowly working on her ) to keep the grabber orange color. It's not a common color these days and it stands out in a crowd.