Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Modified Rally Pac

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 11:19 PM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default Not an original Rally Pac

Yeah, I've got it. It's not an original. and it's not in very good shape. This is an older reproduction. Someone cut the loop wires (orange and brown), and pop riveted a mounting bracket on it. Also there is a bad solder joint on the board, and I have no idea of the accuracy. A soldering iron would get it working, but who knows how well. I was able to get it to register by holding the board just right, and using a pin to get connect the orange wire. It needs a lens and a bezel.
In my opinion it's not worth the cost of shipping.

Scott
Old 09-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Not an original Rally Pac

Scott, you definitely have too much time on your hands, but that gauge thing you have is definitely a kick in the butt. I am surprised you didn't go ahead and upgrade the engine before you bought toys like this. What is this world of automation coming to? Global positioning systems, etc. We will probably see a car that runs on water and drives itself in the next few years.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:05 AM
EmperorOfChicken
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring
We will probably see a car that runs on water and drives itself in the next few years.
I certanitly hope not! [&:]
Old 09-25-2006, 12:17 AM
6mustang6
5th Gear Member

i dont care about the run on water part. As long as it sounds the same, if not better, and has the same power, if not more.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:02 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

Scott, you definitely have too much time on your hands, but that gauge thing you have is definitely a kick in the butt. I am surprised you didn't go ahead and upgrade the engine before you bought toys like this. What is this world of automation coming to? Global positioning systems, etc. We will probably see a car that runs on water and drives itself in the next few years.
I wanted to get some base line goals to work towards, figuring that the V8 would be heavier (predominately nose heavier). So 60-0 braking distance and lateral G force meant a lot to me on this project. My thinking was that if I could match the lateral G's and braking G's of the 6 cylinder, I'd have one very fast little road car when the V8 goes in.
Although, after the weigh in, I've discovered a whole new issue. My original goal was to be no more than 3,000 lbs with the V8. I need to go back and figure out what I can do to get there.
Aluminum block, Gun drilled and knife edged crank that is internally balanced, Light I beam rods and lightweight pistons, Aluminum flywheel, Aluminum heads, Aluminum radiator will all help. I've still got to add back, Dual exhaust, Fuel cell and a 6 point roll cage. So something else is going to have to change. Probably hood, trunk, maybe bumpers all fiber glass. Message the metal to get rid of the bondo. fiber glass leaf springs, and narrow the rear end 2". Remove all the tar undercoat and the jute based sound deadener (replace with Dynamat).
For the track I can go with some light weight racing wheels and tires, Racing seats up front and remove the rear seat completely, but that doesn't help on the street.

I'm disapointed in the weight. My fault for not weighing the car when I bought it. I am most impressed with the brakes and cornering G forces. I have all ready exceeded my expectations, and haven't finished dialing the car in yet. I also think that when I reach my weight goals, the car willl be very close to a 50/50 weight balance. I need to get on an axle scale to make sure. If that is the case, I will raise my handling and braking goals to match.
Just more work and money, so it will take a little longer [&o].

In the mean time, I'm having a lot of fun.

Scott