Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

carb spacer

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 06:12 AM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

Default RE: carb spacer

ORIGINAL: Colorado_Mustang

You are better off with a spacer. If you want to check, drive around without it for a while and see how you like it.

ORIGINAL: atomsk680

what, you dont need a spacer? i have one, my dads, soon to be my brothers 71, has one. my friends vette and camaro has them, i thought it was just omething all engines have[&:]

my spacer is good, im gunna keep it
Old 10-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Brandontyler65

nope they are an aftermarket thing second the plastic ones are supposed to be a bit better cause they are less prone to warp
No, carb spacers are not an aftermarket thing. However, the phenolic and plastic ones are aftermarket. Factory spacers are aluminum. In the old days, hotrodders would just cut out a piece of plywood and use that as a spacer. Worked just fine.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:01 PM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

I dont know if it's true or not, but i read somewhere that spacers shift the torque range sumhow... [:-]

By the way, I have a phenolic spacer if sumone wants one cheap...
Old 10-15-2006, 10:05 PM
JBradley500
3rd Gear Member

i was going to say....i thought all fords came with carb spacers...i just bought a truck with a 400ci and a 600 holley and there wasnt a carb spacer....my dad saw that and about shat himself.
Old 10-16-2006, 02:41 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: randy78045

I dont know if it's true or not, but i read somewhere that spacers shift the torque range sumhow... [:-]

I am interested. What kind is it and will it work for a Holley w/ Performer?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:08 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: valley firearms

It is one inch.... an as for the holly, i wanna say yes cuz demon an holly are the same in lots of ways... if you can measure the studs... or go off a gasket or sumthin...
Old 10-16-2006, 06:45 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Different engines respond differently to each carb spacer. there is no real "rule of thumb" or guideline for what does what. four hole, three hole, open, tapered, stepped, swirled, 1/2",1", 2".. they all do different things. Some engines that have a somewhat restrictive intake will respond to a taller one, it adds plenumn volume. All of them will benefit from a cooler intake charge, but you can get that without a spacer too. the only way to really tell what the engine likes as far as design, size or even if it needs one, is at the track or on a dyno.

if you cant get a quantifiable repeatable result from something, you dont know if it has improved or degraded your peformance. So just driving around with one on may do something and it may not. I have only one engine that liked a spacer, and it was a 1050 Dominator carb on a Victor intake with 467 ci under it. The rest ran essentially the same and all the spacer did was creat a hood clearance issue.

had a buddys 72 chevy Luv pickup go .4 faster in the 1/4 by installing a 2" open spacer and a lighter spring in the secondaries. it went from a 13.1 to a 12.7 on a hotter day. Not sure if it was the carb or the spacer that helped it. I left to go back in the USAF shortly after we ran it so no further testing on my part.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 AM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

Thanks Randy. Since jroseman started the thread and may be looking for one, I will give him first shot at yours since he started this. If he doesn't want it then I will be interested. The stud configuration is the same as the Demon. As long as it doesn't have the small primary and larger secondary like the Quadrajet spacer has it should be fine. Let me know if he does not contact you within a few days.

It is one inch.... an as for the holly, i wanna say yes cuz demon an holly are the same in lots of ways... if you can measure the studs... or go off a gasket or sumthin...
Old 10-16-2006, 11:06 AM
randy78045
6th Gear Member

Thanks Randy. Since jroseman started the thread and may be looking for one, I will give him first shot at yours since he started this. If he doesn't want it then I will be interested. The stud configuration is the same as the Demon. As long as it doesn't have the small primary and larger secondary like the Quadrajet spacer has it should be fine. Let me know if he does not contact you within a few days.

It's the open style... no individual holes...