Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

disc brake question again

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:23 PM
skiprCH
2nd Gear Member

Default disc brake question again

Hi all,
I have a '65 with drum brakes. I has the single bowl master cylinder. I was wondering if you you can put a dual bowl master on for the added safety? Reason I am asking as I put mucho bucks into my drum brakes when I first got the car and it stops really good. So good that this summer I stopped fast for a yellow light and got hit fom behind. One of the reasons I am installing the TMI sport seats with headrests. Whiplashes suck! If I do go with disc I found these on ebay. They intrigued me as they are bolt on preassembled and will work with my 14 by 5 in. styled steel wheels. I asked and he said they would unlike some of the other kits.
plz ck it out and tell me what you think. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=170047313024
Walt
Old 11-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Scott H.
5th Gear Member

Default RE: disc brake question again

Yes you can. IIRC the '67 and later cars had dual master cylinder, even with manual 4 wheel drum brakes.
I'm not a fan of the Granada swap because of the difference in spindle geometry, how it affects Ackerman, and bumpsteer.
But that's just me. A lot of people have run this setup, and never noticed any issues.
Either SSBC or MP brakes has a conversion using the original rotors with coated and/or sleeved K-H calipers. I think if I was trying to stay somewhat original, this would be the route I would take. I'd be willing to bet it's more expensive though (even though you don't have to swap spindles).
Old 11-12-2006, 12:40 AM
66 stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: disc brake question again

Ive been thinking about a dual system for my drums, maybe sometime, i just got my standard done.........