Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

How to properly bleed power brakes?EDIT : Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default How to properly bleed power brakes?EDIT : Power Steering

I just wanted to get a quick step by step on bleeding the power brakes (EDIT: Power Steering) on my 72 coupe.

I thought I had read that with the front end up on jackstands, fill the pump, start the engine then start turning the wheels their full travel back and forth. and refill the pump as needed.

is this basically correct?

I need to do this this weekend.

THanks

I obviously posted this question too early this morning. I meant to ask about bleeding the power steering not brakes. I have not done any work on the brakes, that may come in a month or so.

Old 12-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: How to properly bleed power brakes?

It's the same procedure as with manual brakes, but you need to have the engine running when you pump the pedal to get the air out. Start with the driver's side rear, then the passenger side rear, then the passenger side front and end up at the driver's side front. Repeat as necessary.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:49 AM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

You dont need to have the car running. Depending on what youve replaced on the braking system. If you replaced the master you need to bench bleed it, it shouldve come with a kit and instructions on how to bench bleed. As for the rest of the braking system, this is how you do it. Raise the whole car off of the ground, pull all 4 wheels, make sure all the bleeder screws will break loose and are not obstructed. Rule of thumb you always start at the wheel furthest from the master, which would be the right rear. Youll need an "assistant" to pump the pedal. With all of the bleeders closed, have your assistant pump the pedal 3 times and hold it, crack the bleeder screw to purge any air. Make sure your assistant keeps pressure on the pedal until you close the bleeder screw. Youll probably need to repeat that about 3 times per wheel. Another tip, is get a piece of clear tubing thatll fit around the bleeder screw and a 20 oz. bottle. Run the tube into the bottle, itll catch the expelled fluid. So start at the right rear wheel then go to the left rear then the right front then lastly the left front.
-P.
Old 12-08-2006, 12:17 PM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

Yes sir to "bleed" the power steering all you need to do is continue turnin from left to right and conitnue checkin ght efluid in the pump as it will go down.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:45 PM
jes72mustang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks