Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tunes and your 'stang

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 03:09 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

Default Tunes and your 'stang

I am underway on my mechanical "freshen up" and about to start the interior restoration.

I am restoring the dash with an origianl 1966 radio with a signle speaker in the dash. I love the idea of having an old radio with just AM on the tuning dial.

Anyway my guy suggested that - in additon to my vintage radio, I put an I-pod compatible stereo in the glove box. He would mount an unseen subwoolfer in the rear and "invisible" speakers in the doors. The cost with labor is $1600. It's expensive so I wanted to know what kinds of sounds the memebrs of this site have put in their Mustangs. And do they feel it was worth the investment. The reason I have to decided whether to do it now is because the interior is getting completly striped - so it is the perfect time if I am going in this direction...
Old 12-10-2006, 03:16 AM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Tunes and your 'stang

I think this could be very debatable. Personally, I would say stick with the radio and the front speaker, and add a rear speaker. No farther than that. 1600 is a good chunk of change to put in a stereo system, you could do some real nice engine work with that...
Old 12-10-2006, 03:23 AM
ford65stang
2nd Gear Member

well im in the process of doing all new wires in my stang and it is totaly gutted at the momment....im keeping the stock gauges and radio....i do plan on adding a cd deck and speakers that will be hidden....The price is a little high...All depends on what he is putting in....Depends on your stlye of music too...But it is Custom work and he has to fabricate everything....but it is common to put the cd deck in the glove box....speakers in the door ... well i wouldnt do it....wires could get pinched and water could get in there....I might put mine under the dash somehow.. i dont know where you could put some in the rear that would be hidden....maybe under the seats....[&:]

I would find out how much all the material cost ( speakers, wiring, cd deck, etc,) and get how much labor.... It might be a good deal if he is onlly chargin you like 100 on labor....or it could be 500 to 600 on labor [:'(]
Old 12-10-2006, 04:06 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

I think it depends on ur tastes. If you want it to look original as possible, i am not sure where you could put speakers besides in ur doors.... which i dont think would have a problem with water or anything, i have put speakers in doors of other classic cars and never had a problem. As for the back i guess you could some how mount them under the package tray... you wouldnt see them from the inside but probably from the trunk.

Personally i am going to buy the kick panels that have the cut outs for speakers and i am going to mount 6x9's in the package tray and i will be buying a brand new radio bezel and take a hack saw to it to fit a cd player... unless they make them for cd players... havent gotten that far in the restoration yet.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Timelockmind
3rd Gear Member

I have a fastback - the sub goes in the trunk. As for speakers in the doors - I have delux interior which means he can mount the speaker (5x7 I think he said) there with "GT" mesh grill covers.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:57 AM
Halz5
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Timelockmind

I have a fastback - the sub goes in the trunk. As for speakers in the doors - I have delux interior which means he can mount the speaker (5x7 I think he said) there with "GT" mesh grill covers.

how are you going to "hide" a sub woofer in the trunk?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:21 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

That's a good price if it is good equipment (high end can go a lot more), and they are using an amplifier with custom enclosure. If you like good tunes and drive the car a good amount, it's a great investment and you will truely enjoy it.