Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Heat Wave

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Heat Wave

i live in corona CA. im 30 mins from the beach (newport beach), an hour from the snow (big bear), and 45 mins from palm springs. if the temp drops below 60 i dont go outside.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:11 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

South Texas here, and 2 years ago we had snow for the first time in.....wait for it.............104 years!!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:20 PM
Mustang Dad
2nd Gear Member

Oh, and by the way.....no I wasnt there to see it!!
Old 12-13-2006, 04:04 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

In Minn, there was an overnite low of 0 (F, not C) a week ago (but I was in Cozumel!) and people were skating on the ponds. Today and tomorrow, sunny and 50....go figure, must be global warming. This year the mustang is just 15 minutes away in mini-storage so it's an easy trip over to start it and run it (and drink a beer or two while it warms up). Could cruise even, but once it snows, DOT will be salting and sanding...then we stay put until April 1.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:45 PM
restomod66
3rd Gear Member

East Coast right above conn. RI calledthe ocean state sits right on the water just below Boston Mass. My 66 is in the garage and is still being runn on nice days to keep the fluid and battery up to snuff.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:46 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Weather in Nebraska is the worst I have seen on Earth. some parts of the former Soviet Union migh be worse, but I havent been there. While growing up in Nebraska I saw ambient temps of -33F in some winters with the usual being around -15F to 0F and 115F being the hottest I saw with temps usually in the 95F-110F range, in summer its almost always over 100F. There are few trees, its rolling hills and plains. Mostly farmland and the roads are all laid out in a grid, north south/east west. There is always a wind in Nebraska, humidity is more than most would ever expect. 95%-100% isnt uncommon in summer, and usually it hovers around 75-85%. The wind is still humid in the winter and makes for extreme windchill, if you break down on the interstate you might not be able to walk even a half mile to a rest stop or exit. -20F with a 25mph wind and 75% humidity will freeze you while walking. Ask how I know..lol.

Snowstorms in Nebraska are something to respect and fear. As little as 2" in a wind blown fury can block all the cross wind roads, something on the order of 6" can cover up a semi truck on the interstate after it stopped because of the whiteout conditions where they cant see the road they are standing on. A blizzard in Nebraska is a normal thing, people go on about thier lives as normal, just with more digging. I remember in 1977 a drift at the end of my driveway that was 34' deep. My brother and I had dug elaborate tunnels in it before the snowplow could make it through almost two weeks later. We could get out of the farm by driving through the fields and onto the north south roads, untill we came to a road that was plowed. Usually 15 miles before we found an open road. We still get those storms, but that is the one that stick in my memory.

Then the whole bit about Tornados. On a hot summer day, a cold front moves through bringing with it a supercell thunderstorm that will often reach to the stratosphere and from horizon to horizon, they move west to east at varying speeds, but its usually pretty fast for a storm of tht magnatude. You are outside sweating in the humid air, drenched like you just fell in a lake, then the storm drops the temps from high 90s or low 100s to the 50-70 range in a matter of minutes. It makes the hair on your neck and arms stand up because that weather is perfect for twisters to form. The sky turns green in places from the updrafts carrying humid air high enough for the water vapor to form hail that comes down from pea sized to the size of grapefruits. Twisters and hail go together like peas and carrots. The destructive power is simply amazing, it localized like a pinpoint and seems to wander with a mind of its own taking out trailer parks and other juicy targets of opportunity. As quick as they come, they are gone, and often the sky is bright blue after a tornado has hit in the middle of the day. Hurricanes hit a wide area and buildings can be built to withstand them. Where as even a small tornado can wipe out a brick building, right down to the foundation and scatter the bricks over a couple of miles.

Nebraska is a fun place to live.

Northern Michigan is a much nicer place to live. there are trees everywhere, so even though there is a huge lake and we get 300" of snow each year, mostly in lake effect snow that doesnt need a storm, just a wind off the lake, 6"-12" at a time is just deeper snow, the wind is much less severe and the drifts are much smaller. The roads can become a whiteout very easily though, and a Mustang or Firebird is not the car for winter here. Temps range in winter from -15F to 30F a few days can get colder but a day in the 40s is a day to be outside getting a tan. Summer here is much nicer then Nebraska or South Carolina (where I spent 5 years stationed at the base in Charleston) I saaw two days over 100 this past summer, and usually its 70-85F here. 2004 the 4th of July it was 30F-45F and raining, I was in the desert of Kuwait enjoying 135F daytime and 128F at night, even Kuwait with the heat pales in comparison to Nebraska, mainly because the range of temps and fierceness of the storms just isnt there.

They salt the roads here in Michigan, so no hotrods leave the yard after the first snow, untill the salt is washed off the roads sometime in May. I have a 97 Dodge Intrepid with 225k miles on it, that we use as a winter beater, in summer the hotrods see more use, and the dodge laguishes a bit.. Its a 97 and its already rusted heavily under the car and through the paint.. I have a spare in back with a better body that only needs an engine for when this one dies. Plus a spare engine and trans just in case. Those cars are $200 beaters here. I am building a couple 4x4s when the shop is clear of Mustangs and Cougars...

So how do you feel about where you live?
Old 12-13-2006, 04:51 PM
MidNite27
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: eZ

i live in corona CA. im 30 mins from the beach (newport beach), an hour from the snow (big bear), and 45 mins from palm springs. if the temp drops below 60 i dont go outside.
I'm pretty much Near corona as well. Riverside County. Temecula to be exact. Its in the Inland Valley. About 1 Hour 30 from San Diego, 2 Hours from LA and 30 min. from the beach. Its a great little Valley. The mountains always push the clouds around us though so the rain likes to avoid us. Its a little cloudy, not even noon yet and its 75. Its chilly outside actually.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

So, sounds like its California 1, Nebraka 0 so far...

I moved house last week to the Barossa Valley, our best known wine region. It is only 40miles or so from the center of Adelaide and takes an hour to get there. I'll post some pics next week if I get a chance (of the mustang that is!) Adelaide has population of about 1.3m. The whole state combined only has a population of about 1.5m. You only have to go another 20m from where I am and the rainfall drops below 10" annual. So we get dry hot summers with cool winters and any rain we do get is usually then.

I like it here (the whole state really). Its generally laid back and a little slow, but no smog, cheap and good food and housing compared to the rest of the country and easy to get out of the city for a bit of fresh air and some twisty roads.

If you had a choice to move where would you go? As a Mustang owner, the environment here is good. Low humidity, low rainfall, no snow = no salt on the roads. Nowhere else in Australia is better for that, but I'd pick the beaches north of Sydney for the perfect climate to live in.