Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

AutoAuto to 4 speed conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 02:18 PM
Matthew

Default AutoAuto to 4 speed conversion

Greetings all.

My 65 Fastback is an "A" motor car that came with a 4 speed. The original owner (i'm the second) swapped out the 4 for an auto some time ago so his wife could drive it. Since I am interested in keeping the car as close to how it came, I was wonder if it is a bigger deal to change it back or just keep it as an Auto. The original transmission is no where to be found so I would need to source a new one.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:09 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Default RE: AutoAuto to 4 speed conversion

Matt
The stick engine had a drilled out crank shaft for pilotbushing and this is where the very end of the stick trans would rest. If you go back to a stick , make sure that Bronze bushing is replaced. The rest is just changing parts.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:29 PM
Matthew

Coolness. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Matthew,

Changing the car from an auto to a stick is no biggie at all. The "hardest" part about the job is gathering all of the parts. I swapped out the original auto in my A-code fastback to a 5-speed manual, first with the stock linkage and now with the aftermarket cable linkage.

First, how stock do you want it to be or do you want it to be a manual and look stock (i.e. original 4-speed or a T5 5-speed)? I see you are in L.A. as am I. If you do the swap, I have the clutch linkage pieces that I would let go at a good price (springs, reinforced z-bar, frame pivot mount, engine pivot mount, upper and lower adjusting rods and clutch fork).

Jeff
Old 01-11-2007, 09:36 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: gothand

Matthew,

Changing the car from an auto to a stick is no biggie at all. The "hardest" part about the job is gathering all of the parts. I swapped out the original auto in my A-code fastback to a 5-speed manual, first with the stock linkage and now with the aftermarket cable linkage.

First, how stock do you want it to be or do you want it to be a manual and look stock (i.e. original 4-speed or a T5 5-speed)? I see you are in L.A. as am I. If you do the swap, I have the clutch linkage pieces that I would let go at a good price (springs, reinforced z-bar, frame pivot mount, engine pivot mount, upper and lower adjusting rods and clutch fork).

Jeff
I was thinking the same thing. If I was going to go through all the trouble of changing from an automatic to a manual, I would go with the T-5. We have all the information you want in the FAQ section about how to modify to the T-5 from the auto.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:48 PM
Shifty101Easy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

ORIGINAL: gothand

Matthew,

Jeff
I was thinking the same thing. If I was going to go through all the trouble of changing from an automatic to a manual, I would go with the T-5. We have all the information you want in the FAQ section about how to modify to the T-5 from the auto.
thats saying a lot for the benefit of the T-5 if its coming from Mr. Stock-Original himself.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Matthew

Thanks guys,

I'd like to keep it close to stock but I will consider the T-5. I have not made any hard set decisions yet.

Thanks again
Old 01-12-2007, 08:11 PM
Clu7ch
5th Gear Member

+1 to the T-5 idea.

If you plan on a bit of highway driving, I'd suggest a T-56. That extra gear will help out a ton on your gas mileage.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Decurion
2nd Gear Member

Forget the T-56. Its expensive and you have to "massage" the tunnel to get it to fit. The T5 can look amazingly stock with the right shift handle, and I would even guess it would get past a lot of people who casually look under the car.