Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

frontend/steering

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 11:19 PM
guitarist88
2nd Gear Member

Default frontend/steering

I have a 1967 289. the steering is a little loose. I don't know that mucg about cars. I was told the front end needs to be worked on. to make it safer. like some pistons or something in the bar that connects the wheels together and makes them turn. someone please help me out. Also I am wondering how hard it is to put power steering in. what about disc brakes or power brakes?
Old 10-14-2004, 02:32 AM
picos68stang

Default RE: frontend/steering

I may be wrong but I believe that power/disc brakes became standard on v8s in 1968. To upgrade yours you will probaly need to find a shop to do the work if you arent a home mechanic. There are many companies now that sell kits for our cars to upgrade the brakes. You can go with just front or both and kits start around $800-$1000 bucks. I read Mustang and Fords Magazine, and they have all the great parts places advertised. I have personnally used National Parts Depot, California Mustang, CJ Pony Parts. All are good and have websites and free catalogues. Cant help you with the power steering...came standard on 68s. Even still, mine is extremly loose also. Hope this helps.
Old 10-14-2004, 12:44 PM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

Loose steering on old stangs is common. There are so many joints along the path that can wear with age, it is practically guaranteed! The power option only worsens it due the way it works, it depends on play to determine which side of the cylinder to pressurize. All new parts from the rag joint to the tie rod ends (and maybe ball joints too) would help a lot. The only no play solution is a rack and pinion conversion. Both options will cost a bit, R&P is over $1000 and new parts should be less than $1000, parts only, no labor included.
Good luck!
Old 10-20-2004, 01:35 PM
guitarist88
2nd Gear Member

1000 bucks for parts? is that if I am making it powered steering or is that just to make the steering not loose. I am more worried about making the steering not so loose. I don't have very much money to work on my car so I am trying to learn how to do things myself. And I think I need to start by making it safer.
Old 10-21-2004, 12:52 AM
69mach1377
5th Gear Member

I'm advising against power steering in my post...so a new steering box, all linkages that have '*****' in them should cost less than $1000 easily. Get some prices from the major parts houses in the magazines and let know what you find.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:07 PM
horseshoeing
3rd Gear Member

Can you drive it and stay on the road? Do you feel safe driving it? If so, drive it and fix it later.
Old 10-22-2004, 07:37 PM
Mustangdemon67
4th Gear Member

I put power breaks on my 67. I did the conversion myself, it wasnt hard, just takes time. The barke conversion kit ran me about 750$. I only got disc brakes in the front, you dont need to change the back from drum to disc. On the power steering topic, i took off the pump because i wanted more horse power, its only hard to turn off a dead stop, other then that the steering is fine.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 AM
Frank_Bullitt
1st Gear Member

Power steering is something you would want if you plan to be stoping and parking in tough spots all the time. other wise it's just adding on something you want not really need. as for loss steering they all get that in some way or another. Now if you want real tight steering and power as well a Rack and Pin job will take care of both of the problems and make it a much longer lasting do it once and right kind of fix ups. Power brakes and disc brakes is something that is a good safe thing to add on. I think if your looking to keep your money cost lower and you want to do the safest thing to your car first would be disc brakes hand down, stoping is the most inportent thing you can do. And maybe to fix your steering to hold you over would be a steering box that is way lower then R&P. So fair I have been looking around everywhere for good parts and cost and my best find for both has been MustangsUnlimited.com Best guys I have delt with yet. if you got any questions about what I said let me know, best of luck!