Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Ignition problem or fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004, 08:19 PM
ivanr77
2nd Gear Member

Default Ignition problem or fuel pump?

After fixing my shocks (go here to read my story on them https://mustangforums.com/m_258380/tm.htm), i was hoping id finally be able to begin working on something i want to work on, not something i have to fix, when one day i was on the highway and my engine began to lose power, sorta on and off-like. For instance, id be at about 4rpms, and then for a split second it'd drop down to about 2rpms, and then back up to 4, without me changing anything on the gas pedal. After the engine oscilatted several times on the rpms, it eventually stalled out.

me, being the inexperienced teenager with an old stang, didn't really know exactly what the problem was nor how to fix it. Although i did know it was something up with the electric/igntion part of my car.

I managed to get my car started, and barely made it to the next exit when it stalled out again. Not really knowing what to do, i was hoping to at least get to a gas station where there was light and i could look at the engine (this happened at night), when a guy on a Harley(a sweet one too), pulled up and offered some help. He checked the carbuetrator to make sure it was pumping gas, and it was, then he checked the distributor, and although i couldnt see what he was doing in the dark, i think he checked to see if the distributor was working correctly. It wasnt (according to him), and i could see that it wasnt sending a spark myself. he worked on it in the dark for about 1 min, and fixed it up, and my car turned over and started up nicely. He told me that my problem was somewhere with the connections to the distributor.

My car ran nicely for about a week, until 2 days ago, when i was coming home and my car began to oscillate with the power loss back and forth again. So i parked it in the garage and now im trying to determine what my problem is, what i need to fix, and how.

my assumption is that the distributor isn't working properly, it isnt sending a weak spark, but i dunno? Does that matter? if it's sending a spark, shouldnt it still work properly. or, if my engine is stalling out, are the sparks dieing out completly? I would really appreciate some sort of troubleshooting method that someone could offer me whereas i can check if something works or not, and determine what hte problem is based on that information, because as of right now, i dont know what the EXACT problem is.

My dads assumption was that the fuel pump wasnt sending any gas to my engine, but it was, as the Harley guy checked, and since i could hear the engine dieing based on lack of power, not of lack of gas. So i sorta distinguished the fuel pump problem apart from the power problem...but it could still be a possiblility.

I really need some help on how to check my car out, any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks
Good day.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:37 PM
vfast
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Ignition problem or fuel pump?

well first what year are we talking about?....why not replace the dist. it seems that's where it is and add a msd 6a for better fire..also replace you fuel filter
Old 10-26-2004, 08:09 AM
68GEETEE
2nd Gear Member

assuming you have the original style distributor with points and condenser, try replacing the condenser and see if that helps. My '68 did exactly the same thing you are talking about and thats what it turned out to be. A dirty fuel filter can also cause this type of problem.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:33 PM
tinman
5th Gear Member

Many times with this type car, what seems to be an issue with fuel system is really an ignition problem......
Old 10-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Depending on the year, and which engine, and the set-up of that engine, it could be several things. The early models had a fuel filter in the tank attached to the sending unit. That is the first thing I would check, Then move on to the in-line filter. The next culprit would be the fuel pump. Take the line off the carb, get a jar and have someone turn over the engine to see if a steady stream of gas is coming from the pump. If so, then venture on to the distributor problem as has been mentioned.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:36 PM
bob emmerich
2nd Gear Member

O.K.-A few things:
1) The filter on the sending unit in the tank, commonly called a "sock" is clogged/dirty.
2)Bad or faulty ignition points/condenser
3)A bad or faulty ignition coil
4)Bad fuel pump
Double check that all connections to the coil are tight. Also check that you have 12 volts at the coil + terminal.
Seeing as you have fuel getting to the carb, my bet is on the bad coil/points and the tank filter "sock".
More than likely it's the "sock" which means dropping the tank and taking out and replacing the sending unit. I believe this due to the fact that the car re-started after a minute or so. Good Luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 05:55 PM
carizzma

Check all your electrical connections at the distributor & coil. Make sure the e connections are tight, no frayed wires etc. Check the point gap, & make sure the points & condenser are secured tightly to the breaker plate, check all the wire connections inside the dizzy. Sounds like something loosens up after awhile.