Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Are people this stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 10:17 PM
hity645
2nd Gear Member

Default Are people this stupid?

I was browsing craigslist for a 9 inch rear end, and every now and then I like to check out prices for 67 mustangs. I came across a "Shelby Clone". It didn't say it was an eleanor so I was curious. Clicked the link and what do I find!? A 1967 Coupe painted black, with the shelby racing stripes and GT 500 slapped on it, all for $40,000. I couldn't find the link, but I did find something similiar...a GT 350 clone, now tell me what seperates this from the other GT 350s, besides being a "clone".

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/car/280008470.html
Old 02-23-2007, 11:26 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Default RE: Are people this stupid?

Depending upon the quality of the build, engine, tranny etc. some might consider $40K as the cost of doing business. If they can afford it, I ain't mad at 'em. One day I will.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:10 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

yes its a clone shelby didnt make a coupe tell 68 which was prototypes price depends on how much money is in it doesnt say much then the normal things id ask for more photos see whats different probably another high priced mustang with a shelby badge slaped on it
Old 02-24-2007, 05:50 AM
Brandontyler65
I ♥ Acer

ya people are that stupid
Old 02-24-2007, 08:20 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Face it......Classic Mustangs are nothing more than old Fords. 40K for any old Ford car is ludicrous. I don't care if it has Shelby or George Washington written all over it, it is still nothing more than a machine that wears out with use.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:24 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

the tri5 chevys which is the 55 56 and 57 belair are just as pricey as the early fastback mustangs its about the demand for the car sets the price
Old 02-24-2007, 12:35 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

The market being what it is today, I would not even entertain any offers less than 25K for my fastback. Not that many people would be beating down my door to pony up that kinda jing, but for me to go and replace it, I would be out at least that much.

My car was a factory 289 C code with AC, rocker trim and a clock. That was about it for the options. Since then I have added many of the factory options like consoles, Shelby instrument cluster, exterior appearance package, yadda yadda yadda...

Cars that came from the factory with these options are becoming quite pricey indeed. So 40K for a preemo ride with all the good stuff isn't that unbelievable. Maybe a little rich for a coupe, but still not out of the ballpark.

In case many of you haven't noticed, our hobby isn't the cheapest hobby in town anymore and it is not going to be getting any cheaper any time soon.

Personally, I hope the guy gets his 40k for his mustang. A rising tide lifts all boat.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:01 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

but the rising tide that lifts everything also will result in $1000 rusted and dented fenders, and other parts. Every dweeb with a rusted out half smashed no frame rails left I6 coupe with a 3 speed will think its worth $30,000..

Sure it makes the car you own now worth more, but it also raises the entry level for people who are still young and want an old car like this. it also raises the price for certain parts into the "you gotta be freakin kiddin me" range.

If they get $40k for a regular old nothing special coupe with a few shelby stripes on it and maybe a set of wheels, then someone doesnt know anything about cars just bought it. There is a 71 Firebird on Ebay right now that is a clone of a 71 Trans AM. The guy paid $22k for it and in reality its worth about $5000. It has a stock 2v 350 rather than the 455 HO that makes those cars desireable, and it doesnt have any of the TA parts on it.

Same thing here with these Mustangs. Take a low powered nothing mobile, throw stripes on it, maybe a set of wheels and ask a fortune for a car that might be nicely done but its still a basic model and nothing special.. It doesnt have collector value and wont for another 30 years.

Demand does set the price to an extent, but people having more cash than brains makes things just plain stupid. Have said many times about the street rods being worth more than a stock model T or A, and all the grey hairs with loads of cash have driven up the price on everything needed to build one. You cant put together a stock chassis for less then $10k. Its like they have the money so they will pay any ludicrous amout of money just to have what someone else cant.

Raising the prices on our cars and parts does not help the hobby. People paying stuid amounts of money for a stripe kit on a base car does not help the hobby. it only shows that some people are more stupid than others.
Old 02-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Amen Todd. But, unfortunately there aren't many guys out there who actually know what these cars were worth back during the day they were all over the highway, and just see them as treasures.....not cars that are meant to be driven down the road to get from point A to point B. If someone offered me 30 grand for my average C code coupe, I would sell it to them in a New York minute. The truth is though, that the average C code 65 coupe will not and probably not sell for that amount ever. That is a pipe dream.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:18 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

The cars are worth whatever the seller and buyer agree on. It isCapitalisim 101. Sell it for as much as you can get and buy it as cheap as you can. I will never begrudge anybody for making a killing on selling a car. I have done it a couple of times myself. Profit is not a dirty word comrade.

Obviously if somebody pays 22K for a trans am clone, then the trans am clone is worth 22K. Not 5K.If the person who bought the car is uneducated and does not know what he is buying then shame on him. He just paida 17K premium above and beyond fair market value for an education. A fool and their money... It's a wonder they got together in the first place.

As for the person who believes that his I6 coupe is worth 30K, they more than likely find out very quick when they try to sell it that indeed, it is not worth that much.

Demand sets priceto EVERY extent!!

For every clown out there trying to get an obscene amount of money for a "nothing special" car, there are many more that actually have a resonably priced example ready for sale. Pick your poison.

If it prices out people from getting into the hobby, then find another hobby.Sorry, butmy heart is pumping **** for 'em.