Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

E-Brake Handle Retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:30 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: E-Brake Handle Retrofit

ORIGINAL: gothand

Welcome to the board Daze. Aside from ergonomics, does the swapped in handle dramatically improve the effectiveness of the parking brake? By inspection, it appears that your handle will provide a greater mechanical advantage over the stock setup, but what I don't know is how that translates to the performance of the cable actuated drums.
Like you said there is definitely mechanical advantage, not to mention ease of use. I realize that most call it a parking brake and not an emergency brake, however if I am going down the road and loose my hydraulics in ANY car my "parking" brake will become an emergency brake That is the main reason I did the swap. With this option there is far more control as to the amount of pressure applied so that with a little effort you can maximize rear braking potential with out locking up the rear tires which could potentially cause lose of control. Also on my car I am running rear disc brakes and having the more modern between the seats option simply made them work better.

As far as the "ball busting" comments made by others, to each there own. I have seen modified cars that I DID NOT LIKE because IMHO they were over the top however it’s not my car, and even though I did not like the mods I had to respect the craftsmanship. I think all forums would be much better places if we eliminated car category "racism" and simply supported each other. To put it quite simply my car is simply that MY CAR and I am going to do what I want with it. In the same way I would expect nothing less from others, even it that means all stock and original, total body mods, drag car, or any of the other permutations that appear. Its like the Mustero, I hate it and would never build one, but I MUST respect the craftsmanship.

For those of you that only looked at my e-brake page there are other (all free) tech articles on my home page www.dazecars.com including topics on:

Independent Rear Suspension
True ram air
Home made spring compressor
Home made adjustable strut rods
Mustang suspension and bump-steer (a MUST read for all classic mustang owners)
How to make roller spring perches
Seat retrofit
Efficiency -vs.- Volume Increases
UCA drop AKA Shelby Drop, or Arning drop
Home made Mustang Sub-Frame connectors
Old 07-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Soaring

A spade is a spade.
Soaring, seriously rather than a flippant reply, I am very interested to know where you stand on other modifications to "classic Mustangs” drag cars, track cars and other modified versions. Are those perversions of the Mustang in your opinion as well? Also how do you feel about hot rods? My definition of a hot rod would be a modified from original pre 1960s car. Like I said before I am not looking to start an argument or trap you by getting you to say you like or dislike something, or anything else like that, I simply want to get more information so that I can understand your perspective better. I am genuinely interested in your perspective.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:26 AM
66GTKFB
5th Gear Member

There is nothing nicer that a well kept classic car. A cannary yellow 57 Ford or Chevy are two examples of desired cars to modify and if done neatly, attract a lot of attention. Modifying cars has been a part of American life for many decades, starting in ernest in the late 40's and 50's. All too often the desire to modify a car to ones personal tastes fall into the catagory of 'your eyes are bigger than your stomach'. For every well modified maintained car, there are dozens of indescribable disasters. The same applies to those attempting a restoration to factory specifications. There are many adaptions, modifications and inovations that intrigueme. Others I consider - well, stupid.
I don't care what you do to your own property, finish what you start, don't whine and just don't kill yourself'
Jim
(The center mount parking brake is an adaption I like - but I'm not going to use it.)
Old 07-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Daze
3rd Gear Member

I once judged and held contempt for what I deamed over modified cars, but this car was a wake up call

Ford Muscle article on this Galaxie

Honestly I hate the way this car looks. I don't like the color, the flames, or the ugly hood scoop, BUT 1. It is not my car, 2. I respect the vision because as a complete package all the additions work together, and 3. The craftsmanship is incredible. Some one that knew what they were doing built this car and even though it is over the top for me I still respect it. It is a classic 62 Galaxie even though wearing flashy modern clothes.