Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

So my new tires are rubbing already

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 07:34 AM
dodgestang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So my new tires are rubbing already

Did you look at your alignment when you had the new tire put on?
Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 AM
scouttrooper
1st Gear Member

The difference between a 215 and a 235? Dude, you cut a tire enough that you had to replace it. That's not OK! You didn't expect it then, and you won't expect it the next time it happens. Except the next time may cost you something more than the hassle of replacing a free tire. You can't be gaining that much.
Old 08-25-2007, 08:47 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Galactusz

I don't understand why you got the new wheels, it's always best to get the suspension going first, that's what I did.

Your car also needs new leaf springs, that's why your ride has that sag look in the back.

After I got my Grab-A-Track kit (suspension, steering, leaf springs), I also got the Torque Thrust Ds, I went with 15x7's with 215/60/15 on the front, and 225/60/15 on the back, NO tire rubbing whatsoever, and yes, also went with Goodrich Radials TA's with white lettering.
Agreed. Suspension,suspension,suspension first. That is way too big a tire up front. I replaced my suspension fist with stock because that's what I wanted and then did the rims & tires.All these old Mustangs sag in the rear after so many years.
I went with 15 x 6 in front & 15x7 in the rear.
My suggestion is since you are going to replace the suspension (Stock), and if you like those tires that much, see what happens and then if that does'nt work go with BFG's.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2576315
Old 08-25-2007, 09:01 AM
sixtysix
2nd Gear Member

Went through the same problems-here is the solution-get suspension upgraded-I suggest mustang plus grab a trac-then try the tires out-you may need to roll the fender lips-if they still rub buy smaller tires I am running 15 x7 225 on the back-I had them on all 4 corners-I recently got a flat in the side wall so I bought 2 new 205 up front-the only time I rub now is on a real bad bump on the highway on the back tires. hope this helps-Scott
Old 08-25-2007, 10:09 AM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone!

I agree with what most of you guys are saying. I was planning to do the suspension first,and togo back to stock height (no Shelby drop). ThenI got caught waiting on a part to come and decided to have all that work done next week instead of this week. Looks like that wasn't a good move.

Right now I've got about a 1" clearance over between the fender and tire. But if I push down on the hood and bounce the car around, it sometimes lands with only a .5" gap. That's a clear sign that the suspension is a mess.

ORIGINAL: dodgestang

Did you look at your alignment when you had the new tire put on?
the alignment is WAY off. I was planning to go back and fix it after the new suspesion.

ORIGINAL: scouttrooper

Dude, you cut a tire enough that you had to replace it. That's not OK!
Yes, it looked really bad when I first saw it because it was somewhat messy. Upon closer inspection (5mi later), I can't barely find the place where it rubbed on the shoulder. So now I'm thinking the store might not even replace it when they see it isn't as bad as I first thought. Who knows. I'll find out Monday when the new tire comes in.

You're right that I didn't suspect it this time, but I wouldn't expect new springs to allow that to happen next time. We'll see though.

BTW: there were 2 diffrentguys working at the tire store that owned 64 1/2 mustangs (what are the odds?), and they said that setup was working on their cars.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:18 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

Well I got my car back today from having the suspension rebuilt. And I'll say it drives like a totally different car. It's great!

The car nowsits about 1" higher in front and nearly 2" higher in back. More importantly, it doesn't bounce anymorewhen I push on the hood. I don't have pictures yet, but I think it looks really good now.

I tried and tried to make those tires rub, and they just won't. 30mph over speed bumps, and so on, just won't bother it. I'll admit that I went back to that place where I ripped up that tire 2wks ago, and if I go really fast it will rub some. I don't blame the car/tires though. After all, I rubbed a brand new BMWZ4 in that exact same place last month. So I think it's more of a "bad road" than a car problem.

Bottom line, I think I'm going to keep the 235/60/15 all around.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

What kind of suspension did you have put on it? Stock height or drop? My suspension is dropped about 1.25" allround and I'd also like to run 235/60/15's...
Old 09-07-2007, 10:43 PM
five pt oh
2nd Gear Member

I went with stock height BUT, I did not replace my front springs. So with40+ year old springs,itis probablysitting a bit lower than stock should sit. Maybe .5" low at most.

So if you go with a 1.25" drop, you'll be at least .75" lower than mine, probably more. I think that would hit in front, but if you had some really stiff shocks you might get by and only hit on REALLY big bumps. If you're going to try it, then you should probably plan on rolling your fenders or going with 215s up front.

As far as the rear,the 235sshould be just fine with the 1.25 drop.

Old 09-08-2007, 07:59 AM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

I know others wont agree, but its not theirs. I am running 235/60/15 ( 15x7 TTII) on the front and 255/60/15 (15X8TTII with different BS) and they sit and look really nice. I have upgraded all suspension expect springs and the car actually sits higher then stock. Love the look.
Old 09-09-2007, 08:50 AM
lucastrex
1st Gear Member

65StangFB, What is your BS on that 8" rear wheel to fit that 255 on there. Could you post some pics of view from the rear and close up from the side.

Quick Reply: So my new tires are rubbing already