Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

C4 won't go into reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 01:37 PM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

Default C4 won't go into reverse

I supposedly had my C4 reworked before I put my new engine in. I had taken it out of the car, took it to a "reputable" Mustang shop here in Denver. $800 later, I put it into the car but didn't finish the engine for almost 11 months later. Anyway, once I started my new engine, it appeared to work fine and I drove it on several test drives. I had the big car show last Saturday that was my goal to get the car on the road (the Wild West Auto Fest, hosted by the Denver Mustang Club). I made the show but when I got up there the car would not go into reverse. After the show, on the way home it decided to overheat and I had to stop on the side of the road. After it cooled, it still would not go into reverse, and after gettinga little help in the form of a push, I drove it home. I checked the fluid level, thinking maybe the new tranny had an air bubble or just for whatever reason wasn't totally full. It is full. When I put the shifter into reverse, it sounds like it is trying to, but never does engage. It goes into the forward gears just fine and seems to shift just fine. It just doesn't go into reverse....
Any ideas? Would this be a simple adjustment and would any transmission shop be able to fix this? I shudder at the thought of anyone else driving my car, especially with the new engine but will do whatever to get this fixed. I completely rebuilt the engine (minus all the machine work) but don't know squat about auto transmissions.....
Old 09-19-2007, 02:26 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: C4 won't go into reverse

sounds almost like the same thing that happened to my c4. drove it around my shop area all week, even though putting it in reverse was a little sticky from the first day i got it, eventually i drove the car about 5 miles then tried to put it in reverse, but no such luck. long story short, car is at a tranny shop now as we speak, should be ready by tomorrow morning at a estimated bill of $2,000. we'll see how it goes. oh yea thats estimate includes about $500 of brake work.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:40 PM
dstanger
2nd Gear Member

2 *thousand*? Ouch, after $800 already to get it rebuilt or whatever... I'll take it back to that Mustang shop first. What was the diagnosis?
Old 09-20-2007, 08:11 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

went by the shop yesterday, was putting everything back together, said maybe by today it will be ready. lets keep our fingers crossed.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 AM
RobbieG.
1st Gear Member

I think it needs the bands adjusted. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think there is a band for reverse and if not adjusted right, it wont work.

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/...rans/c4exp.gif

Part #69 in the view
Old 09-23-2007, 07:00 AM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

well got it back, car runs and shifts nice now. however still having idling issues. which i think is either a faulty mass air flow sensor or the idle motor thing. ugh
Old 09-23-2007, 01:44 PM
valley firearms
5th Gear Member

MAF? Do you have EFI?
[align=left] [/align]
Old 09-24-2007, 02:33 PM
petec
1st Gear Member

There is a reverse band in the C4. Make sure your bands are adjusted correctly. If the reverse band is loose when the servo actuates it will not apply and the drum will continue to rotate and not give you reverse.

If the bands are adjusted correctly you need to have someone take a peek inside that sloshbox.