Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ignition???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:25 PM
JERM_1967stang
2nd Gear Member

Default ignition???

well i have a couple questions in the electrical deparment

1. what series ognition control would i want (there is a 10, 6, and a 5 there are others too if those arnt the ones i want)
2. I want to switch to an electric ignition what all would i want to buy for the complete transfer
3. My car didnt come equiped with a Tech... where would i hook one up at??
4. whats the best ignition I have myeyes on MSD

Incase your woundering I have a 1967 289 coupe
Please help
Old 09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: ignition???

There's no real problem with the stock distributor, as long as the advance curve isn't out of whack. You can buy electronic ignition upgrades that bolt right into the stock distributor ( Pertronix and Crane)and work just fine. Buying a fancy aftermarket ignition setup might increase efficiency a little, but don't expect any more power out of it.

That said, I put an MSD ready-to-run distributor (w/o a box) on my 331, more for adjustability than anything else (although it does look nice ). It's really easy to adjust the advance curve on MSD distributors, and they come with all of the springs and bushings you need. I can easily add a 6AL box later if I want actually multi-spark and an adjustable rev limiter, but I've more important things to do with $250 right now.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:26 PM
65StangFB
2nd Gear Member

I went with an electrical distributor from an 82 mustang and added a 6A MSD box to that. Doubt there is any more horsepower, but it startslike a freakin champ(Stock 302).
Old 09-21-2007, 10:11 PM
htwheelz67
3rd Gear Member

I would go with a duraspark dist, have it recurved to your eng. I have used msd,jacobs,mallory and accel and out of them all I like the accel 300+ smallest of all, digital,multi spark,adjustable rev limiter (no chips), specs seem to show the most and spark energy (MJ's) out of just about any other ignition made and I paid about 200 bucks including the coil. I wired a stock duraspark box with the same plugs as I made for the accel and keep it in the trunk but the accel has been really reliable, ready to run dists are cool but I dont think they can fit the performance of a reg ignition in the distributor, if that was the case why arent ign modules credit card sized? and if it breaks down then what do you do?
Old 09-21-2007, 11:51 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

The ready-to-run isn't designed to be an entire multispark system within a distributor, it's designed as a reliable, adjustableaftermarketdistributor that you can easily add an MSD box to. There IS an ignition module inside the distributor (they've been doing that since the 80's), just not a multispark box.

And if it breaks down, you fix/replace it. It's no different than any other electronic ignition system, OE or aftermarket, old or new. If it fails, you're stuck, end of story. However, I do have my original distributor with a Pertronix II ignition sitting in my closet in the off chance it does fail.

Not to say there's anything wrong with a Duraspark conversion, they can work very well too. I just prefer the adjustability and expandability of the MSD distributor.