Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

vibration in steering wheel and dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:12 PM
muggsy
2nd Gear Member

Default vibration in steering wheel and dash

I recently got my car back from a ton of work and I am now just really noticing (after approx 750 miles of driving) a minor/moderate vibration in the steering wheel and dash, particularly on de-celleration or cruising at steady RPM. When I hit the gas or really hit the brakes, I don't notice it...The vibration seems "cyclical" meaning that seems to be associated with some sort of rotation. Its vibe, -no vibe, -vibe, -no vibe-, vibe, - no vibe.....I do not feel it at all in the tranny (auto) hump or in the seats (front or rear)...only in my hand on the steering wheel and in the dashboard. It makes the dash panels vibrate and buzz...

The reason I post is because I don;t know where to start. I have a newly built motor (347), new rear end gears, newly built original tranny, and the car sat for months while this work got done so the tires were almost flat and the driveshaft was removed and I'm not sure if it was properly balanced. I think the tires were inflated after the work was complete but not balanced

My guesses (and hopes)are in this order:

1) Tire balancing
2) Driveshaft balancing
3) U Joint issue
4) Rear end issue with thenew 3.55 gears
5) Harmonic balancer or flywheelissue with newly built motor (I sure as hell hope its not this)

Any guesses or insight?
Old 09-25-2007, 01:23 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Default RE: vibration in steering wheel and dash

Sounds like an out of balance front tire most likely. It could be an engine balance issue too or mayebe a driveline issue, but I'd start with tire balancing and see if it fixes it
Old 09-25-2007, 01:25 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I'm guessing it's in the front suspension since it goes away under hard braking. My $0.02.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

A tire or driveshaft balance issue will alwaysbe present at a certainspeed range (not rpm range), no matter if you're accelerating, decelerating, or cruising. However, hitting the brakes or gas really hard may make it hard to feel the vibration, or may alter the force on the out of balance tire enough to temporarily eliminate the vibration.

Assuming it's speed-related and not rpm-related (which would indicate engine/tranny issues), I'd start by balancing the tires and checking the u-joints and bearings. These are the easiest things to do.

If you still have issues, I'd consider taking the driveshaft in to get rebalanced. If you still have problems, take the car back to whoever set up your gears.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:22 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

http://www.armorb.procarcare.com/inc...04/4fig15.html
Old 09-25-2007, 05:13 PM
voipguy

I noticed a similarvibration in my '65. If you put the vehicle in neutral (m/t) or park (a/t) and rev the engine do you notice any steering wheel vibration when you let your foot off the gas??
On my car it ended up being the flywheel.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

I just noticed after reading this post for the second go around. You stated that the tires were flat for a while. You may have a damaged belt or just a formed spot in the tread. If you have another set, you can switch the front tires and see it that helps. Or before you go that far, up the air pressure a little and see if that changes. Anothersource can be alignment. A heavier engine can change things. If you don't find it in the tires, I would check the front end for wear and have the alignment reset.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:19 PM
fast66
3rd Gear Member

I hada similarcyclical vibration and after checking all things listed above to no avail, I changed the trans mount. Problem gone. the driveline angle was being altered to much for the uni joints to cope with.
Give it a go, its $20 and an hours work.
Old 09-25-2007, 07:27 PM
6t9 stang
2nd Gear Member

possibly something out of wack with the driveshaft. when i replaced my rearend, we replaced it with the wrong U joints which caused a similar vibration.