Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Front End (Suspension) Noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:27 AM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Front End (Suspension) Noise

id just say check BUSHINGS....ive had a few problems with mine making horible sounds the lately. shock tower specificaly
Old 10-26-2007, 09:38 AM
DriWashSolutions
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Front End (Suspension) Noise

Welcome to the forums!

Might better just go through the entire front end and replace everything. You can get a kit to do this at any of the Mustang shops, and then you'll know the front end is solid.
Old 05-03-2021, 07:07 AM
JimGilles

I recently purchased a 2008 Mustang 4.0 Coupe Deluxe for my daughter's first car. It had 115k miles on it. From the Carfax and my personal inspection, it has turned out to be exactly what I was hoping it to be, an all original car that had no history of major mechanical issues. It was just driven by previous owners who had to do nothing to it. I wanted to be the one who performed the first maintenance on it. It had the original serpentine belt, spark plugs, fuel filter filled with very dark brown mirk, totally flat shocks, springs and struts, cloth seats, complete with drivers side hole in the lower outside back rest and totally glazed over headlights. In other words, a perfect car that had never been messed with by a wannabe teen age mechanic.

This forum helped me find the "clunk" in the front end. I read where someone suggested that the fastest, easiest and cheapest first step in the process of elimination is to remove the front stabilizer bar. I removed it and wa-la...no more clunk. Someone had placed a plastic shim behind the passenger side mounting clamp in an attempt to stop the "clunk." That was the first and only shade tree fix that the car had. New bushings are on the way.
Old 05-07-2021, 05:52 PM
JimGilles

My Prothane 34mm bushings just arrived today from CJ Pony.

I went to a local junk yard where there were four S197s. One had no front end left. One had a 31mm stabilizer bar. Makes me wonder if that was a dealer aftermarket bar size of some type. The last one had the coveted 34mm bar. It still has 75% of the factory paint in the bushing area. I only paid 14.95 for it at the U-Pull.

I cleaned it up and installed the new bushings and not only is there no more clunk but it handles great.