Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Anyone good with ignition switch wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone good with ignition switch wiring?

I copied all them links from the FAQ section. IMO- 80% of the posts can be resolved throughour FAQ section.Several great links.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:43 PM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

Hawkins:

I actually went through the FAQ weeks ago looking for answers, but didn't find exactly what I was looking for. The schematics are very informative, but they really don't explain everything at a glance. For example, I can't see far enough under the dash to trace the wires back to the main disconnect (or I'm blind...). I was looking for an "at-a-glance" alternative before ripping stuff apart. Thank you though.

kalli:

Excellent, that's exactly what I was hoping for. I'll give it another shot as soon as I have a chance. Thank you so much.

I didn't even think about the fact that this is essentially asking for a"guide to hot-wiring a car." Oops.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i knew you hotwired your car in engine bay, so I never saw a problem in telling you how to do it at ignition switch. especially knowing that it was cut off anyway.
Now i start to regret it and we might want to ask the admins/moderator to deltete this thread once you have your issue resolved. that an idea ?

Kalli
Old 10-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Hawkins 812
2nd Gear Member

If my car gets stolen because of you kalli, i will sue!!!...lol j/k.
Old 10-30-2007, 10:34 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

To late kalli, we copied and saved the info.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:18 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i'd say if you search google for how to steal a car you'd getter far better results than what I typed up :-)
Old 11-03-2007, 01:38 PM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

I finally figured out what was screwing me up. On the "cap" that plugs into the ignition switch, there are three wires: yellow (obvious), red-blue (obvious), and what I thought was red-gold. I couldn't find red-gold ANYWHERE on any schematic. I had about 7-10 wires hanging near the ignition switch, and the only obvious ones were the black-green, yellow, and red-blue. There was another red-green wire that connects to a brown wire, and a few others.

After looking closer, the red-gold on the ignition switch cap is actually red-green... now it all makes sense. A few quick crimps, and it fired up without a problem. Thanks again for the advice guys, it helped a ton.

Now, my last question. When I originally took the ignition switch out, the previous owner broke the end off of it. It came out pretty easily. However, I can't remember how the tumbler came out. Now that I'm trying to put it back in, I'm having some difficulty. Should I have the tumbler already in the switch (like I do now) and try to put the whole thing in from the back, or should I put the switch in the back, and then position the tumbler into it from the front? The ignition bezel is still in place, and there are some sort of wafer-lock-type-things inside where the tumbler goes.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:00 PM
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Curse The Sky

I finally figured out what was screwing me up. On the "cap" that plugs into the ignition switch, there are three wires: yellow (obvious), red-blue (obvious), and what I thought was red-gold. I couldn't find red-gold ANYWHERE on any schematic. I had about 7-10 wires hanging near the ignition switch, and the only obvious ones were the black-green, yellow, and red-blue. There was another red-green wire that connects to a brown wire, and a few others.

After looking closer, the red-gold on the ignition switch cap is actually red-green... now it all makes sense. A few quick crimps, and it fired up without a problem. Thanks again for the advice guys, it helped a ton.

Now, my last question. When I originally took the ignition switch out, the previous owner broke the end off of it. It came out pretty easily. However, I can't remember how the tumbler came out. Now that I'm trying to put it back in, I'm having some difficulty. Should I have the tumbler already in the switch (like I do now) and try to put the whole thing in from the back, or should I put the switch in the back, and then position the tumbler into it from the front? The ignition bezel is still in place, and there are some sort of wafer-lock-type-things inside where the tumbler goes.

Thanks again.
Good job on getting it worked out. Crimp connectors are OK in the short term, but you should really consider soldering the wires for a permanent solution.
Here's some info on how to do it:

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=7

The method described on the page is OK, but personally I don't see the need for adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Curse The Sky
1st Gear Member

The leads to the cap that plugs into the ignition switch were clipped extremely short, so I had to solder longer wires onto those. I went to school for electronics for four years, so soldering is sort of second nature now. Shrink tubing is mainly nice to keep things from shorting, plus it makes things look neater.

The crimps are only temporary, don't worry. Thanks though.