Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:40 PM
dr1965
2nd Gear Member

Default springs

i know there has been a thousand threads on replacement of rear leaf springs, but i went under the search and none came up. Could someone please do a reply, or a post where someone has replaced rear springs and how they did it. I am ordering new springs tonight, and i have a general idea of how to do so. Just looking for someone that has done it, and there views on it,promblems and pointers.thanks.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Matt.69Stang
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: springs

One of your best bets is to go on amazon and order the Chilton manual for the mustang. It shows a good section on the rear suspension.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 PM
ebluekeys
2nd Gear Member

I made the mistake of ordering the "heavy duty" springs, figuring it would "tighten up" the ride. All it did was make the rear end hop around when it hits bumps while accelerating. Buy the STOCK SPRINGS!!
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
baddog671
6th Gear Member

Go ahead and buy yourself either a sawzaw or a 6.5" cutoff wheel, perferrably the sawzaw. Unless your suspension has been messed with before, you will HAVE to cut the front bolt to drop the leaf springs out.

Other than that, its a simple job..
Old 10-29-2007, 10:08 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ebluekeys

I made the mistake of ordering the "heavy duty" springs, figuring it would "tighten up" the ride. All it did was make the rear end hop around when it hits bumps while accelerating. Buy the STOCK SPRINGS!!
IDK,,,

We put 5 leaf grab-a-tracks on the 66,,, no hops at all,,, just hooks and goes...

As far as changing the springs it is pretty straight forward....

Put the frame on jackstands,,, high and securely...
Drop the driveshaft
Remove the e-brake cables, Probably will be easier to drop the cables from the car and not the axle.
Remove brake line from bottom of car to axle
Remove spring shackles from rear of springs and car. (with jack lightly under the pumpkin)
Remove jack from pumpkin, axle will "hinge down" from front of springs
Remove the two U-bolts from each side, axle will be free now, leave it where it is.
Remove the front spring bolts..... if they are stuck, then you will need a new thread,[:@][:@]
Springs are now free.

Reverse procedure in assembley...

If the front bolts are not stuck, this is about a 2 hour job... if they are stuck you will need a sawsall,and/or other assorted cutting tools, a lot of patience, and a good 4 letter vocabulary... (ours came right out no issue)
Old 10-29-2007, 10:15 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Wheel hop is normal on these cars. A set of traction masters would fix that problem.
Old 10-29-2007, 10:29 PM
JamesW

When I changed mine, I didn't have to cut the bolts holding the front spring mounts. I soaked them in penetrating fluid the day before and they came loose.

Depending on the ride height you're trying to achieve, there are standard, mid and reverse eye springs. I went with standard height.

Be careful in how you secure the car. You will need at least 4 jackstands. 2 under the axle and 2 under the rear framerails next to the springs. In the photo below for reference, I placed one set of jackstands on the rear frame rail just about where that hole in the framerail is located.

You want to support the car by the aft framerails. letting the rear end hang under it's own weight. (minus wheels) Unbolt the spring perches and release the axle from the spring. Jack up the axle so it raises off the spring. Then remove and replace the spring. One side at a time.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 AM
dr1965
2nd Gear Member

2 things-Do you have to drop the driveshaft?
-and do you have to disconnect the brake hose?
seems easy enough.I am not sure if the rear endwas ever apart before, so i am planning on the worse.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

I did not have to drop the breakline or disconect the E-Brake cable, my front bolts came out easily but the rear shackels sure caused a bloody mess of my nuckels
Old 10-30-2007, 10:03 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dr1965

2 things-Do you have to drop the driveshaft?
-and do you have to disconnect the brake hose?
seems easy enough.I am not sure if the rear endwas ever apart before, so i am planning on the worse.
Yea I thought about that after posting, I was going to make a correction but my post disappeared into the ether due to a posting error...

all that really needs to come off is the springs, the wheels and tires can/should be left on, unless the front bolts are a bitch, in that case a person might want the axle out of the way for an extended unobstructed session with the bolts.....

Quick Reply: springs