Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Crate engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 03:30 AM
67droptop1
2nd Gear Member

Default Crate engine

I am want advice on where the best deal on a crate engine might be? I want a 302 with a little kick but driveable.
Old 11-01-2007, 03:41 AM
67droptop1
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Crate engine

Sorry found "Cheap Motor" thread after I posted this. Still learning how forum works I am a dinasour!
Old 11-01-2007, 07:37 AM
smittycm
1st Gear Member

Don't be sorry man. This has nothing to do with your thread, and yet it does. I've been a member of a couple different forums, and a Mustang owner,for a couple years now. It's funny how everyone is afraid to post something. I know I was for the longest time. That's the only reason I have so few posts. All right, well, that and the fact that I'm usually the one looking for advice, not giving it out. [8D] Let me get to my point....

ITS OKAY TO POST SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT BEFORE!

I think so anyways. Eventually, just about everything there is to talk about Mustangs will have been mentioned. Then what? Then no more new posts, because the answer to your question is already somewhere else in the forum? Eff that! I love talking Mustangs. I don't care if the subject has been brought up before, let's talk about it again! That's my thought anyways. Call me crazy, but I love the hobby. I love talking Mustangs and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I just get dissappointed when I see people apologize for asking a question because they're worried of ticking off some old forum member who has already seen the question asked before, or when someone knocks someone with a reply of "do your homework" and "learn how to use the search function".

Now, I'm not one to post something just to be posting it either. I agree that you should do some research to a point and maybe you'll find your answer to some of the most basic questions. But I don't see anything wrong with reviving an old topic. No matter how many times that dead horse has been beat. If you don't want to read it, move on to the next thread! I hope you all get the point I'm trying to make.

All right, I'll stop ranting now.

<waiting for a moderator to delete my account now> ...haha
Old 11-01-2007, 10:21 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

+1,,, if the same questions are not answered over and over, we would all run out of things to say, and we may as well just put the forum into "archive status"...

Frankly it bothers me when someone asks a question and they get a reply like "try the search feature of the forum"....
#1, some folks like to answer questions, (so everyone knows how smart we are,,, ) not.....
#2 when someone needs help they don't want (or need)to search through endless threads to find a situation "similar" to theirs. and
#3 the search feature does not always get the job done... [:@]

As far as crate motors go, you might PM Gothand about his Ford Motorsports crate engine, or MustangLover66, he works for a crate engine company (T&L). My brother in law bought a T&L engine, it is a very nice setup.

ORIGINAL: smittycm

Don't be sorry man. This has nothing to do with your thread, and yet it does. I've been a member of a couple different forums, and a Mustang owner,for a couple years now. It's funny how everyone is afraid to post something. I know I was for the longest time. That's the only reason I have so few posts. All right, well, that and the fact that I'm usually the one looking for advice, not giving it out. [8D] Let me get to my point....

ITS OKAY TO POST SOMETHING THAT HAS BEEN TALKED ABOUT BEFORE!

I think so anyways. Eventually, just about everything there is to talk about Mustangs will have been mentioned. Then what? Then no more new posts, because the answer to your question is already somewhere else in the forum? Eff that! I love talking Mustangs. I don't care if the subject has been brought up before, let's talk about it again! That's my thought anyways. Call me crazy, but I love the hobby. I love talking Mustangs and I don't think I'll ever get tired of it. I just get dissappointed when I see people apologize for asking a question because they're worried of ticking off some old forum member who has already seen the question asked before, or when someone knocks someone with a reply of "do your homework" and "learn how to use the search function".

Now, I'm not one to post something just to be posting it either. I agree that you should do some research to a point and maybe you'll find your answer to some of the most basic questions. But I don't see anything wrong with reviving an old topic. No matter how many times that dead horse has been beat. If you don't want to read it, move on to the next thread! I hope you all get the point I'm trying to make.

All right, I'll stop ranting now.

<waiting for a moderator to delete my account now> ...haha
Old 11-01-2007, 10:59 AM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

I thought I would chime in and put this out there. I know T&L have great prices on their strokers and that they use a seasoned block. If one was to buy a ford racing crate motor, they use the new "sportmans" block. What are the advantages/disadvantages to bying either engine. A T&L engine can save 3-4K. Is it really worth it to buy a new for racing crate motor or save a bunch of money and use a seasoned block?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:09 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: zmetalmilitia

I thought I would chime in and put this out there. I know T&L have great prices on their strokers and that they use a seasoned block. If one was to buy a ford racing crate motor, they use the new "sportmans" block. What are the advantages/disadvantages to bying either engine. A T&L engine can save 3-4K. Is it really worth it to buy a new for racing crate motor or save a bunch of money and use a seasoned block?
I don't know if I can answer that question.... I have heard that the a seasond block willexpress less cylinder distortion than a new block (oncethe seasoned blockis properly bored and honed), but I wonder if this is really an issue with most "street motors"....

I am inclined to believe that with the better (more consistent) casting practices of today, cylinder distortion is probably not the issue it once was...

Of course this is just a very uninformed hypothesis on my part..... but it seems to me that consistent cylinder thickness = less distortion....
Old 11-01-2007, 11:16 AM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Comparing a brand new Ford Racing crate motor to a T&L 347 stroker is like comparing apples to oranges. If your objective is stoplight to stoplight power and you don't mind waiting three or so months, then by all means, the T&L is for you.

If you're looking for a plenty healthy powerplant (345 hp was still a fair amount for a lightweight Mustang) that is constructed of all new parts by the factory that builds our cars, with a roller camshaft, one-piece rear main seal, is warrantied by Ford and is already sitting in a boxed crate just waiting for you to call and give your credit card number (I had mine to my door in two days), then the Ford motor is tough to beat. I couldn't be happier with mine.

The first things to do are decide on a budget and list your priorities. For my purposes, I'll gladly leave a few HP on the table for astreetable ride that doesn't spit raw fuel out the back at idle and gets good mileage.

Keep in mind that putting the Ford motor in an early car will require a bit of extra work, though not difficult (oil pan and pickup, electric fuel pump or add cam eccentric, balancer swap if you're going to use your stock v-belts, different valve covers if you run a carb). The Ford motor does not come with an intake manifold but does come with a flywheel.

FWIW, this isn't a slam on the T&L, other strokers or crate motors. I'm merely pointing out the strong points of the Ford motor. BTW, E-cam for an auto and/or better idle and the B-cam for better top end and a bit choppier idle. I got mine from Summit, but I've seen it other places for $300+ cheaper.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help.

Jeff