Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Classic Mustangs (Tech)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Old 11-12-2007, 08:15 PM   #1
jman67

Default setting timing

Hi, I just put in a new ford racing342 crate engine. i am trying to set the timing on it. the manual says recomended timing is 36 to 38 degrees at 4000rpm. It does not say anything about the timing at idle.could anyone tell me what the timing should be at idle.
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
jman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #2
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1967 Ford Mustang Fastback
Default RE: setting timing

Probably 10-14* with the vacuum advance disconnected and plugged. Set it at 14 and take it up a steep hill in high gear under light acceleration and listen for pinging. If it pings, back it off a couple degrees and try again.
Starfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 AM   #3
kalli
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1964, Ford, Mustang

if you have a proper timing strobe where you can change the advance in degrees, set it to 36 advanced.
Rev the engine to 4000rpm and turn the distri so that it flashes the mark at 0 degrees.

if you don't, then use what Starfury says.
If the engine is brand new, Ford Racing should be able to help you with such details as well.

Kalli
CSRP disc brakes front and FRPP discs back.
http://www.gascc.ie

kalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:40 AM   #4
palerider
3rd Gear Member

Jman just curious where did you get ther motor and have not seen much published on HP or Torque - any estimated numbers you can share. Planning on putting new crate in my 70 Fastback. Just looking at my options. thanks
palerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #5
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Vehicle: 67 Mustang Coupe

What distributor do you have? Set the total timing at around 36-38 and see how it runs. Set the advance curve to get full advance by about 2,500-3,000rpm. Then drive it and see how it does, it may want more, it may want less. You basically want to get the best throttle response and fastest acceleration, and best part throttle power, but all without pinging

Untested 331, lots of suspension, chewing up corners.
67mustang302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 PM   #6
jman67

Quote:
ORIGINAL: palerider

Jman just curious where did you get ther motor and have not seen much published on HP or Torque - any estimated numbers you can share. Planning on putting new crate in my 70 Fastback. Just looking at my options. thanks
I got the engine through cj pony parts. Its made by ford racing. It ison the ford racing website but it is hard to find on the site. Idon't know exactly the horsepower it puts out but ford says thier 302 puts out 345hp withEFI and long tube headers. I have a 600cfm carb and long tube headers so I think it should be in the area of 300. I just got finished the swap and I havent opened it up all the way yet.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:21 PM   #7
jman67

Quote:
ORIGINAL: 67mustang302

What distributor do you have? Set the total timing at around 36-38 and see how it runs. Set the advance curve to get full advance by about 2,500-3,000rpm. Then drive it and see how it does, it may want more, it may want less. You basically want to get the best throttle response and fastest acceleration, and best part throttle power, but all without pinging
I have an MSD distributor I think it is the billet or pro billet. Also I have the electronic control box. there is no vacum advance for this distributor.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #8
jcomp
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
ORIGINAL: jman67

Quote:
ORIGINAL: palerider

I got the engine through cj pony parts. Its made by ford racing. It is on the ford racing website but it is hard to find on the site. I don't know exactly the horsepower it puts out but ford says thier 302 puts out 345hp with EFI and long tube headers. I have a 600cfm carb and long tube headers so I think it should be in the area of 300. I just got finished the swap and I havent opened it up all the way yet.
A properly tuned carburetor should make the same power as properly tuned EFI.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
302, 345hp, 67, crate, ford, idle, motor, mustang, setting, timing