Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Distributor fixed thanks for the help

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 02:32 PM
gjz30075
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help with Dizzy Install.

So, to understand this, you always had a pertronix unit in the car, but you simplychanged the distributor, which will include the shaft, gear, advance weights, etc, Sounds as if the new distributor could have something wrong with it. Any way to go back to the old distributor?
Old 11-19-2007, 02:35 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

I'll bet you dimes to doughnuts that you are a tooth off on setting your distributor.

Several other members have posted this and Iagree. I think anybody who has ever messed with our old Fords to any extent has seen this show more than once.

First off check all of the stupid stuff. ie. firing order &make sure the sparkplug wires are seated firmly at both ends. Make sure your battery has a good strong charge on it.

Rotate the engine to TDC on #1, ( a remote starter is invaluable, a good piece of heavy cable used to arc across the solonoid will also suffice). Look at the timing marks on the balancer and make sure that when you think you have it on TDC that the pointer is on '0' on the timing scale. It will all line up when you have it right.

If you are showing 40 degrees advanced at an idle then back it off 1 tooth and see what that gets you.

Pull the distributor up SLOWLY, so as you can feel the distributor gear turning the rotor as you pull it out, AS SOON as you feel the gears clear each other turn the rotorclockwiseuntil you feel the gears mesh and the distributor settles back down and set it back in place. Fire it up and see where you are at. If you are even worse, then take the distributor back the other way 2 teeth. One way or the other will be right.

If the distributorwill not fall back into place because of the oil pump drive shaft is slightly off then simply get a long pair of needle nose pliers and manually rotate it just a smidge. It won't take much rotationat all to get itin lineso take baby steps. DON'T DROP ANYTHING DOWN THE HOLE! You only think your frustrated and borderline pissed now. Drop something in the hole so that you have to pull the pan and then you will have something to be pissed off about.

It is a game of patience at this point so just play it cool. It is mechanical. It will work.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ford! Whenever you get so mad at your car that you can't see straight, just back off and drink about it for a while and try again because it'll bea blast when you get it right.
Old 11-19-2007, 03:05 PM
RolandT3Speed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastbackford351
Welcome to the wonderful world of Ford! Whenever you get so mad at your car that you can't see straight, just back off and drink about it for a while and try again because it'll be a blast when you get it right.
Sage advice!
Old 11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
syfhler

I finally fixed the problem, and it was a combo of things. The pertronix was not super tight and slipped a little. A new install fixed that problem. I also had a bad timing light....don't ask.

I got everything dialed in 9 deg gave me a bit of a ping at Wide Open Throttle so I ended up wtih 6 deg. I now have a surging problem at 2/3 to full throttle. I figure it is a vacumm leak but I started another post as I trouble shoot that one. Thanks again for all the help.

Old 11-19-2007, 08:44 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

6 is terrible, what kind of gas are you running in this thing? use the good stuff and bump that sucker up a few degrees, the pep increase will def. be noticeable.