Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

wiring harness for efi motors

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 08:30 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

Default wiring harness for efi motors

Im in the process of planning the drivetrain for my 72 convertable, i was thinking about putting a 5.0 or 5.8 inwith a aod behind it.I was wondering what wiring harness you have in your cars or did you make your own? What computer goes in it and what type of challenges did you run into? thanks Scott
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
gothand
5th Gear Member

Default RE: wiring harness for efi motors

I bought a used Ford Motorsport harness with plans to modify/customize and install in my '65 like JamesW did in his car (BTW, do yourself a favor and look at his website for invaluable information on just such a swap). After looking at the harness, I came to the conclusion that it was going to require much more effort than I was willing to put into the wiring so I went with the fordfuelinjection.com harness. When all is said and done, it probably won't be as seamless as what James did (relocating wires behind the firewall, exact lengths, etc.), but it will be easier ... at a cost $$$.

I haven't installed it yet so I can't comment on the difficulty of it, but it doesn't appear that it will be that hard. As for the computer, go to fordfuelinjection.com for a list of the codes. I have an A9L for my 5.0L with manual transmission.

Did I mention that you should be looking at James' site?

Good luck!
Jeff
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
JamesW

Go to my webpage below and go to the EFI wiring page.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:05 PM
shr
3rd Gear Member

man James i just got off of your website and my head is spinning! But it is alot more clear now! I take it that mass air is alot better then speed density right? It looks like i will probably go with the fordfuelinjection harness. THANK YOU for a awesome site!
Old 11-26-2007, 10:40 PM
JamesW

Mass Air is better than speed density. Ford changed over from SD in 88 or so. If you acquire a speed density setup, you can change it over to MA with just a different computer and a Mass Air Sensor pigtail.

The FFI harness is a great plug and play solution. Maybe I went about it the hard way.... I was too cheap to buy one!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:54 PM
68EFIvert
3rd Gear Member

I used that harness made by fordfuelinjection.com. Easy install and much cheaper than most custom harness out there. The website has great information on it. Between it and JamesW's site you will be set.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:35 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I dunno about MAF>SD. Most of the totally badass aftermarket setups are SD, but the problem with it is that all the good ones are either expensive, or require you to build the entire thing, and every time you change something you have to retune it, even a minor something like headers. Once you get the original tune dialed in though, they work very well. And the good ones will run with as radical a cam as you want, FAST's XFI has a setting that lets you pick an engine rpm where the ECM swithces to alhpa-n for system management, where it only uses engine rpm and throttle position(plus the temp sensors etc)for control, so intake vacuum has no effect on metering. When you hit the preset rpm, it switches back to SD for more precise control. But the XFI is hella expensive.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:20 AM
JamesW

You're right Frank...from a high end performace perspective, SD is the unit of choice. I was just thinking general streetability and ease of operation when I responded.
Old 11-27-2007, 07:34 AM
shr
3rd Gear Member

well MAF is the way to go then becasue im not building a road racer... its just gonna be a fun family car that me and the girls can go out in and cruise!
Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 AM
falconfixer
1st Gear Member

Me? I would pick MAF as well. For all the reasons stated above^. Would i pay to convert? No.