Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A few problems I need help with..

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:52 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Default A few problems I need help with..

I just posted about my oil leak, but wanted to ask about the amount of moisture present in my exhaust.. What does pinging really sound like,, and im having trouble with some hard starting..Whats normal.. Earlier, when I started it up in the garage, I was throwing water everywhere.. It kind of seemed weird.. Could this be due to the old gas that I was running.. ITs gas that has been in the tank for the past 8 or 9 months.. There was barely any gas anyway, so i dumped in a bottle of fuel additive, and filled the tank half way..

I also noticed that when I get on it,, i get a rattleing sound from the exhaust, like a cricket was in there rubbing his legs together, and I was wondering if that was what is referred to as pinging? I would guess thatI just need to tune the carb properly to get that sound to go away..

ALSO... She is starting pretty hard.. Today it took two cranks to get her to turn over.. and it didint sound like the normal.. Eh eh eh eh,crank... it was a bomp,,, bomp,,,, bomp,,,, crank.. Well i went to starbucks after joy riding for a little bit, and when I tried to leave,, it would bomp,,, bomp,, beging to start and then just wind down.. It did that a couple of times, until I felt it tryng to start and just pegged the gas,, it roared and spit a little grey smoke and then ran as usual.. What would be doing this?
Old 12-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Default RE: A few problems I need help with..

Moisture in the exhaust is normal. Water is a byproduct of combustion, and before the exhaust heats up, it's cool enough for that moisture to condense. I wouldn't worry about it.

Pinging sounds...well, it sounds like pingingLight pingingsounds almost as if there are a bunch of marbles rattling around in your engine, causing light 'ping' sounds. More serious detonation develops into more of a knock. Usually it will only happen when under heavy load and high vacuum, ie.part throttle up a steep hill. Bad gas will definitely cause some pinging, so go fill up the tank. Add some fuel stabilizer if you think it'll be sitting for a while.

I'd check your timing and adjust your points (if you have them). Poor timing could also result in starting problems, although that's more of a guess as I'm not sure from your description exactly what problem you're having.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:00 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

You got a warranty with that engine right?

You could possibly have a head gasket issue,,, If you can smell antifreeze in the water coming out the exhaust this would say yes.

In any case, I would be tempted to drive the car until the problem is evident.

The hard starting (hard to turn over) has two possible causes among many others, your ignition timing may be to far advanced or you might be getting water in a cylinder. Of course it could be due to any number of other issues as well....
Old 12-02-2007, 12:24 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

You got a warranty with that engine right?

You could possibly have a head gasket issue,,, If you can smell antifreeze in the water coming out the exhaust this would say yes.

In any case, I would be tempted to drive the car until the problem is evident.

The hard starting (hard to turn over) has two possible causes among many others, your ignition timing may be to far advanced or you might be getting water in a cylinder. Of course it could be due to any number of other issues as well....
I know my timing/carb tune is at least a little off.. So I will give that a try first.. I will taste the water coming out of the exhaust tomorrow morning and see if its sweet with antifreeze or just plain old water..
Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 AM
remicks
4th Gear Member

I think pinging sounds like a high pitched pop or something similar. But another way the pinging could be caused is, are you sure you're using the right octane gas?

On the hard starting, is the choke properly adjusted?

And yummy, exhaust water.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:18 AM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

I use regular unleaded,, I dont think my build calls for anything otherwise.. ITs still pretty much stock other than the performer plus cam.. (should have gone RPM) I will check out my choke a little later..
Thanks
Old 12-02-2007, 01:32 PM
boogerschnot
5th Gear Member

Well, the water is just that,, water,, no sweetness.. My hand smells pretty sooty though,, Ive got to be running rich.. Everytime I run that car I come out smelling like fumes.. I will check my points too this afternoon,, and then tighten down my sector shaft to try and take some play out of the steering..
Old 12-03-2007, 10:08 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I am glad to hear that, check your timing out and this may be your whole problem.....