Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Engine and Transmission not connecting!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 12:22 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Engine and Transmission not connecting!?

ORIGINAL: groho

OK, if I understand you correctly, you haven't completely installed your torque converter. I noticed this when I put my rebuilt C4 in. Chevy usually has a two drop, yet the C4 has three drops on the torque converter. simply put, install the converter on the input shaft (first drop), turn the converter until it drops again (second drop), keep turning, and it should drop a third time. The other option might be theflex plate is installed backwards, making the torque converter closer to the block. The only reason I remember thisis because it completely surprized me when the converter dropped that last half inch.
I don't remember exactly how many drops there were, but I know it was in all the way, because the starter gear lined up with it perfect. (remember, on some, including mine, the ring gear is on the TC).

There was a spacer, and it was on there. It was on the side closest to the TC, which I belive is correct as well, because there is a groove for it.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

There was a spacer, and it was on there. It was on the side closest to the TC, which I believe is correct as well, because there is a groove for it.
I think you might have the spacer on the wrong side of the flexplate, and also you may have the flexplate turned the wrong way.

As far as which side the the fleplate faces I cant be sure, but I am almost positive that the spacer goes between the flexplate and the crankshaft.

This is the onlysolution that makes sense. the flywheel has to be further from the block plate for everything to fit.

No matter how the TQ fits on the tranny, you are still going to have clearance issues unless the flywheel is moved toward the back of the car...
Old 12-21-2007, 07:11 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD

ORIGINAL: mySAVIOReigns

There was a spacer, and it was on there. It was on the side closest to the TC, which I believe is correct as well, because there is a groove for it.
I think you might have the spacer on the wrong side of the flexplate, and also you may have the flexplate turned the wrong way.

As far as which side the the fleplate faces I cant be sure, but I am almost positive that the spacer goes between the flexplate and the crankshaft.

This is the onlysolution that makes sense. the flywheel has to be further from the block plate for everything to fit.

No matter how the TQ fits on the tranny, you are still going to have clearance issues unless the flywheel is moved toward the back of the car...
I may have the spacer on the wrong side, but you can't turn the flexplate around - it's impossible. So, it'll only go on there one way in other words.

I think (for this example) it doesn't matter if I move the TC in our out - it will always be bolted to the flexplate, and that will always be the same distance from the block.

That is, unless I put the circular spacer on the other side. But, I'm pretty sure that's not right. Dang.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:51 AM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

Okay, hate to be a post hog, but I have a *possible* solution. Maybe you guys have run into the same thing by chance...

A guy over on fordsix suggested maybe the TC, when in the transmission bellhousing, was pushing harder at the top than at the bottom, causing it to bend forward at the top, thus the problem. This might be true, so I'm going to run over there, take off the TC, put it on the flexplate all by itself, and see if it hits. don't know why I didn't think of that.
Old 12-21-2007, 09:08 AM
JamesW

ok...stupid question time... I'm not an I6 guy. I don't understand the threaded bolt protruding from the TC through the (I'm assuming) thin flexplate hitting the dust shield. How does the TC attach to the flexplate? It doesn't have bolts going through from the flexplate into the TC?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
mySAVIOReigns
3rd Gear Member

HORRAY!!

Can you tell I got it? i went home at lunch and sure enough, the torque converter was not in there all the way, and the flexplate was being pushed too hard at the top, thus making it stick out.

Horray!

And not to mention, my boss just told everyone to leave early!

Thanks again guys!
Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
john721
2nd Gear Member

Right on! Good for you...you got an early gift!