Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Restoration Project, In What Order? - 1965 Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 02:04 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Default Restoration Project, In What Order? - 1965 Coupe

I'm about to embark on my first restoration mission and I was hoping you all could tell me what order I should do things in. Before we get into that though, let me tell you where I (and the car) stand.

The car is in relatively good shape, but I do need to replace the front fenders, hood, and front valances, grill, etc... I have all the parts sitting in my garage and while I have the fenders off, I am currently cleaning up the wheel wells. Here is what the car needs to have done, and keep in mind I'd like it to be a great looking car, but it doesn't have to be show quality.

1. Needs exterior paint.
2. Needs interior paint (dash, kick plates, etc...)
3. Needs the engine compartment cleaned and painted.
4. Needs some engine and water pump gasket work.
5. Passenger floor pan needs to be replaced.
6. I'd like to install some sound barrier material on the floor before I install the new carpet kit.
7. Trunk needs to be cleaned and painted.
8. Needs a new front windshield.

Here is what I have purchased:

1. 1965 A-Code Mustang Coupe 289 V-8
2. New Carpet Kit
3. New upper, lower, and rear valances (GT Rear)
4. New exhaust trumpets
5. New GT bezel and lens kit
6. New GT glove box
7. New GT emblem kit
8. New parking and tail lamp kit
9. New headlight extensions, buckets, and doors
10. New door panel kit
11. New 3-row radiator
12. New fan shroud
13. New battery
14. New grill
15. New horse and corral
16. New GT fog lamp kit
17. New valve covers
18. New oval air cleaner

I thought some photos would help you guys as well. Any and all information will be useful in my case. Like I said before, this is my first time getting into something like this.

I also plan on picking up a Mustang restoration book as well....... Recommendations are welcome here as well.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Restoration Project, In What Order? - 1965 Coupe

OK, here are some things that I have learned. Make notes, and lots of them. Get some freezer bags for when you take things apart, bag and tag them before you put them on the shelve. Take digital photos before you take things apart, these can be used for a reference for when you start to put things back together. Get a marker and look over the car for dings and dents and mark them on the car, make a sketch of the profile's, front, top, sides, rear, bottom and also record these "need to fix" areas as you willfind more during the build.Work in sub-assemblies like rear end completely redone and assemblied, engine-tranny with hoses attached, front bumper assemblie, etc. This will make things a lot easier when you put it back toghther. Buy a book on restoring your classic Mustang, they are several out there. Your car seems to be in very good condition and should go fairly easy. Its better to ask questions and seek advise before making a mistake (like I have done several times) as often others have had the same problem and can offer good advise. This is a good forum for help and has a lot of experienced members that are willing to offer their help. Looks like your plan has started. Have fun, and if you get frustered, stop and walk away, it will be there tomorrow. Nothing beats a well conceived plan.
Old 12-23-2007, 09:04 AM
mustangmatt63
3rd Gear Member

I could not agree more with 67 evil eleanor,definitely bag or can all the little parts and mark where they go and do not get ahead of yourself as I have done several times!! Good pics and several good books on interior,exterior,etc,will be of immense value to you.Take your time and have fun with it dont let it frustrate you,if it does come back to it later.The car looks in Pretty good shape!! Good Luck with it!![sm=teetertooter.gif]
Old 12-23-2007, 09:19 AM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

Awesome information! Is there aything in particular that I should take care of first? I'm assuming there is some sort of order that will help make things progress more smoothly. (i.e. Paint the exterior, then interior, then... Etc...)

Thanks again!
Old 12-23-2007, 09:48 AM
67 evil eleanor
5th Gear Member

After total disassembly, I would do all of my sandblasting, cleaning, grinding anything thats makes dirt first. Then start with a clean shop for the metal and body work.
Old 12-23-2007, 04:40 PM
ninteen66mustang
3rd Gear Member

IMO it really depends on how in-depth you are going with the resto. If you are doing a full blown thing, then you have to tear EVERYTHING down, and prep the metal and stuff, then paint, then reassemble... otherwise its not as hard.

As for your interior stuff here is some advice: Be sure you get the right kind of spray for the dash and doors and stuff. Mustangs unlimited sent me vinyl dye, which they said would work but I ended up having to take it all off and respray it with something else. When you get to the carpet, have lots of heat ready. The carpet wont fit perfectly so you will have to heat it up some so it will be more flexible (they form it using heat). I ended up bringing a space heater inside the car to keep it all warmed up. (It helps if you are a perfectionist to make it fit as good as your old carpet did)

Lastly, a good thing of armorall will clean up your glovebox door and guage cluster and stuff pretty nicely.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:34 PM
HGC
4th Gear Member

As long as you have it this far apart and you are planning to remove the windshield...have you checked the cowl for leakage? If it leaks, this is the time to fix it. Otherwise you will be taking the front end off and the windshield out again. If you have a bad floor on the passenger side it may be from a leaking cowl. Just curious...what was wrong with the front fenders?
Old 12-23-2007, 08:23 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

ideally you probably want to do paint and body first, then put in the supsension, drivetrain, and interior
Old 12-23-2007, 09:17 PM
sanjosebass
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: honeygoldcoupe

As long as you have it this far apart and you are planning to remove the windshield...have you checked the cowl for leakage? If it leaks, this is the time to fix it. Otherwise you will be taking the front end off and the windshield out again. If you have a bad floor on the passenger side it may be from a leaking cowl. Just curious...what was wrong with the front fenders?
She passed the cowl test with flying colors. I think the rust on the passenger side is a result of a bad heating core. As for the fenders, they have some damage on the lower front portion that is too much work for what its worth.