Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Wiring harness

ORIGINAL: mortman
They both look good by the readings i have done. Ron Francis seems to respond positivily to email regarding there products. Centech basicaly told me "no truck? go away". There harness is designed for Ford trucks and did not want to deal with the Mustang.

Yes this is correct. Ron will personally reply to your emails if you have any questions about the product or issues in installation. He is also willing to do custom wiring as well.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JMD
I have installed 3 Ron Francis kits and none of the others mentioned so Iam notreally qualified to answer the question as presented.
I can say that the Ron Francis kit is a great top notch product. The panel is attractive and compact, the wiring is easy. It will look as good as the time you take to make it look good.
The only "issues"I had were that the fuel guage sender wire was short for my routing of the back of the car, and you will need to salvage or re-make the wires from the wiper switch to the wipers,the wires from the fan switch to the heater, and the wires from the heater to the fan.
For me this was not a really problem, I unwrapped the old harness to the the wiper and heater wires out, and ran two new wires to the heater fan.
1. Have you requested in any of your orders to Ron to lengthen the fuel guage sender wire? Or are you simply routing it differently for some reason?
2. Ok so the kit does not include the wires from the following:
[ul][*]Wiper switch to the wipers[*]Fan switch to the heater[*]Heater to the fan
[/ul]That seems odd but thanks for the info as I'll file that away in my notes pile. I know he offers an option to have all the wires extended somewhat for those who need additional lengths. Perhaps I'll bring this up when ordering my harness also.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2008, 07:39 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

As far as the fuel sender wire, I insisted on running the wire down the left side of the car, around the back with the tail light wiring and then back forward along the right side of the car then down to the sender. The wire ended up about 2' short. I can't fault Ron for my inflexibility on this routing! I just added a piece to make up the difference. I am certain I could have gotten a longer lead from Ron Francis, but my impatience would not allow this.

Impatience played a part in the wipers and the heater as well. When confronted with the issue, I found that the short run of wires from the respective switches to their respective destinations were in great condition and the were also already terminated with the right plugs. This in mind I simply took the path of least resistance and freed these wires from theirold harnesses and put them into the new harness.

Quick, simple, and done.

Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
atomsk680
5th Gear Member

i used the painless wiring, and at first ti was hard too use but after time it became very easy,
Old 01-07-2008, 07:14 PM
djsprinklesnjo
2nd Gear Member

atomsk680, can you elaborate on why it was hard at first?