Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

cable clutches, cant decide what to do

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 09:52 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

Default cable clutches, cant decide what to do

ok, so as some of you know, im putting a T5 in my car. im also planning on a new clutch in there aswell (Ive heard good things about zoom). id like to have a cable clutch in there eventully. my question is, with somthing like a T5, isitpossible to put a cable clutch in without dropping the trans out at a later time? ive heard that cables use differnt bushings? clutch fork, are mechanical onesable to use a calble? arg, somtimes i hate this situations. basicly, Id like to be able to wait, (student life sucks), but at the same time trying to figure out how much more work id be in for if I do
Old 01-22-2008, 10:23 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Default RE: cable clutches, cant decide what to do

The biggest difference between a stock Z-bar setup and a cable clutch setup is that the stock setup pushes the clutch fork toward the back of the car to disengage the clutch, and a cable clutch pulls the clutch fork forward to disengage the clutch.

So, you will need to drop the tranny to change the fork and to either change the bell housing or modify the existing housing for the new internal pivot point.

Dropping the tranny ain't really hard though!

Check out mustangsteve.com for directions and guidance on what needs to be done.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:34 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

no, it does seem that hard. im just trying to decide, or more determine, if i can do the cable when i change to T5. Im just trying to not backtrack. anyone know of a clutch fork that can work z bar OR cable?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:40 PM
JamesW

It's not an "OR" situation. Zbars push the clutch arm that pivots on the driver's side of the input shaft, which in turn throws out the bearing. A cable or hydraulic system pulls the clutch arm, which pivots on the pass side end, toward the clutch and throws out the bearing.

Your best bet is to plan on doing your clutch setup and your trans change at the same time. Don't try to piece meal it.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:55 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

ohh. i get ya. so the cluch forks are quite differnt. since im on the subject, what about mounting the cable. do i have to drill the fire wall for the adjustment piece or stuff?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:17 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Sounds like you might want to stay with your Z-bar or go hydraulic,,,

The stock z bar and the cable setups are in fundamental opposition to each other, one pushes, the other pulls, thus the internal bell housing differences.

I guess a cable could be modded to pull the throwout arm to the rear of the car, but I am not aware of any kitready-made that will accomplish this.

Other than this,,,, see post #2...

<< Upon further investigation, never mind the Mustang Steve setup, Steve says it will not work on 69-70, so I assume it wont work on later models either. >>
Old 01-22-2008, 11:30 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

yeah, ill probably end up staying w/ a zbar for a while longer just out of convienice. as ive said before...school starts and mustang gets no new parts for a while.[:@]anyway, thanks for the help
Old 01-23-2008, 05:10 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I wonder if http://www.mustangsteve.com/cable.html will offer one for your car his site says 64-68
Old 01-23-2008, 07:50 PM
flyingfool
3rd Gear Member

ill check into that. thanks